Gordon lifts Dodgers over Padres in extrasApr 8, 2012 - 6:10 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Dee Gordon went 3-for-4 and knocked in the go-ahead run in the 11th inning as the Los Angeles Dodgers snuck past the San Diego Padres, 6-5, in the third test of a four-game series.
Gordon also scored twice and stole three bases for the Dodgers, who have started the year with three straight victories for the first time since 1999.
A.J. Ellis went 2-for-3 with a solo homer for Los Angeles. Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp each drove in two runs.
"This was a big win for us. It kind of showed a different way that we can win games and a lot of guys stepped up," said Ellis. "It was just a really good team win."
Chris Capuano got the start for LA and gave up four runs on two hits and five walks over 4 2/3 innings. Todd Coffey (1-0) pitched a scoreless 10th to pick up his first win in a Dodgers uniform.
Chase Headley, Jesus Guzman, Nick Hundley and Orlando Hudson all knocked in a run for the Padres, who are off to an 0-3 start for the first time since 2003.
San Diego starter Dustin Moseley allowed five runs on five hits in five full frames. Anthony Bass (0-1) gave up one run on two hits in two innings of relief to take the loss.
Bass stayed on the mound for San Diego after tossing a scoreless 10th. Ellis led off the 11th with a single, moved to second on a sacrifice bunt and crossed the plate on Gordon's single to right for a 6-5 lead.
Javy Guerra stranded a runner on second in the home 11th to pick up his second save of the season.
"We just couldn't break through. After we scored the five runs, we just couldn't mount any pressure on their bullpen," Padres manager Bud Black said.
The Dodgers scored five runs over the first four innings to jump out to an early lead. Gordon started the game with a single, stole second, moved to third on Mark Ellis' groundout and scored on Kemp's sacrifice fly.
Los Angeles tacked on three more runs in the third. With two outs, Gordon got things started with a walk. Mark Ellis also walked before Kemp hit an RBI single to center. Ethier added a two-run double to right-center field.
A.J. Ellis' solo homer to left in the fourth made it a 5-0 game.
But San Diego got all five runs back in the fifth. With one out, Jason Bartlett singled and pinch-hitter Kyle Blanks walked. After Cameron Maybin grounded into a fielder's choice, Chris Denorfia walked to load the bases. Headley also walked to force in a run. Jamey Wright then came in from the bullpen.
But Wright also failed to find the strike zone. He walked Guzman and Hundley to force in two more runs. Scott Elbert took over on the mound next and threw a wild pitch that allowed another run to score. Yonder Alonso was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Hudson followed with an RBI single to left to make it 5-5. Hundley was tagged out between third and home to end the frame.
Capuano signed with the Dodgers this offseason after spending last year with the New York Mets. Capuano went 11-12 a year ago with a 4.55 earned run average in 33 games (31 starts)...Moseley battled a pair of shoulder dislocations last season before shutting it down in late July to have surgery. He was only 3-10 last season, but run support was a problem, as he pitched to a career-best 3.30 ERA.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
SAN DIEGO: 5
Apr 8 12:32 AM
- Dee Gordon single to right scored A.J. Ellis. Runner on first with two out and Mark Ellis due up.
Dodgers 6, Padres 5 Top 11, 2 OutsApr 8 12:15 AM
- Orlando Hudson single to left scored Jesus Guzman. On the play, Yonder Alonso advances to second and Nick Hundley out at home to end the inning.
Dodgers 5, Padres 5 End 5Apr 7 10:33 PM
- Nick Hundley advances to second on a wild pitch. Jesus Guzman advances to third on a wild pitch. Chase Headley scored on a wild pitch. Runners on second and third with two out and Yonder Alonso at the plate.
Dodgers 5, Padres 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 7 10:30 PM
- Nick Hundley walked Chris Denorfia scored on the play. Bases loaded with two out and Yonder Alonso due up.
Dodgers 5, Padres 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 7 10:25 PM
- Jesus Guzman walked Cameron Maybin scored on the play. Bases loaded with two out and Nick Hundley due up.
Dodgers 5, Padres 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 7 10:22 PM
- Chase Headley walked Jason Bartlett scored on the play. Bases loaded with two out and Jesus Guzman due up.
Dodgers 5, Padres 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 7 10:18 PM
- A.J. Ellis one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Tony Gwynn Jr. due up.
Dodgers 5, Padres 0 Top 4, 1 OutApr 7 9:40 PM
- Andre Ethier double to center scored Mark Ellis and Matt Kemp. Runner on second with two out and James Loney due up.
Dodgers 4, Padres 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 7 9:22 PM
- Matt Kemp single to center scored Dee Gordon. On the play, Mark Ellis advances to second. Runners on first and second with two out and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 2, Padres 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 7 9:21 PM
- Matt Kemp sacrifice fly to center scored Dee Gordon. None on with two out and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 7 8:42 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 7 8:36 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21