Richard strong as Padres salvage one against DodgersApr 9, 2012 - 12:54 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Clayton Richard's 2011 was cut short due to a shoulder issue that eventually required surgery.
The southpaw displayed no rust in his first outing since last July 4, limiting the Los Angeles Dodgers to just two hits over seven strong innings as the San Diego Padres posted an 8-4 victory Sunday and salvaged the finale of a four- game series at PETCO Park.
Chase Headley clubbed a game-sealing grand slam in the eighth inning for the Padres, who avoided their first 0-4 start in 18 years.
San Diego native and former Padre Aaron Harang (0-1) gave up four runs -- three earned -- on seven hits, walked five and struck out six in 4 1/3 innings.
"We just weren't able to scratch anything together," said Los Angeles manager Don Mattingly.
The Dodgers were looking to open 4-0 for the first time since their 1981 championship season.
Richard (1-0) committed two of San Diego's three errors, but a misplay by right fielder Will Venable led to Los Angeles getting on the board. Pinch- hitter Mark Ellis reached base when Venable dropped a fly ball to start the sixth. The next two batters were retired but Matt Kemp launched a two-run homer over the wall in center, trimming the deficit to 4-2.
San Diego extended its lead on Headley's first hit of the season. After pinch- hitter Jeremy Hermida, Cameron Maybin and Venable singled to load the bases with no outs, Headley snapped an 0-for-12 drought and crushed Scott Elbert's offering to left field for his second career grand slam.
"I felt like I was seeing the ball a lot better, all day I had better at- bats," Headley said.
Elbert had relieved Todd Coffey earlier in the eighth.
Andre Ethier hit a two-run shot in the ninth off San Diego's Ernesto Frieri to complete the scoring.
Harang, who led the Padres with 14 wins last season and compiled a career-low 3.64 ERA, hit Maybin to begin the bottom of the first inning and issued a one- out walk to Headley, who advanced to third on Jesus Guzman's RBI single to left and scored on a sacrifice fly by Yonder Alonso.
John Baker added an RBI single in the third, and Andy Parrino's first major league home run put the Padres up 4-0 in the fourth.
The Padres placed pitcher Dustin Moseley on the 15-day disabled list Sunday with a strained right shoulder and recalled left-hander Josh Spence from Triple-A Tucson. Moseley gave up five runs over five innings to the Dodgers on Saturday...Richard improved to 5-1 lifetime against the Dodgers...Headley walked three times...Maybin stole two bases...The Dodgers' last four-game sweep in San Diego was from June 28-July 1, 2001...Kemp has a 16-game hitting streak dating back to last season and has hit safely in each of his last nine games against the Padres.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
SAN DIEGO: 8
Apr 8 6:53 PM
- Andre Ethier one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Juan Rivera. Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 4, Padres 8 Top 9, 1 OutApr 8 6:48 PM
- Chase Headley none-out, Grand Slam (1) to left scored Jeremy Hermida, Cameron Maybin and Will Venable. Jesus Guzman due up.
Dodgers 2, Padres 8 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 8 6:31 PM
- Matt Kemp two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to center scored Mark Ellis. Juan Rivera due up.
Dodgers 2, Padres 4 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 8 5:45 PM
- Andy Parrino one-out, solo Home Run (1) to center. Clayton Richard due up.
Dodgers 0, Padres 4 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 8 5:07 PM
- John Baker single to left scored Jesus Guzman with two out. On the play, Yonder Alonso was tug out at third to end the inning.
Dodgers 0, Padres 3 End 3Apr 8 4:55 PM
- Yonder Alonso sacrifice fly to center scored Chase Headley with two out. Runner on first and John Baker due up.
Dodgers 0, Padres 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 8 4:22 PM
- Jesus Guzman single to left scored Cameron Maybin with one out. On the play, Chase Headley advances to third. Runners on first and third with Yonder Alonso due up.
Dodgers 0, Padres 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 8 4:21 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 8 4:06 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21