Ethier, Dodgers down PiratesApr 12, 2012 - 5:44 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Andre Ethier drove in the winning run in the sixth and Chad Billingsley tossed six solid innings as the Dodgers downed the Pirates, 4-1, in the second of a three-game set.
Billingsley (2-0) gave up just one run on five hits with four strikeouts for the Dodgers, who have taken the first two games of this set. Juan Rivera went 3-for-4 with two RBI and a run scored.
"I had a good fastball command tonight," said Billingsley. "Everything was pretty good and it's always nice to get ahead of hitters."
Clint Barmes' solo home run was the only run for the Pirates, who have dropped their past two after taking two of three from the Phillies to start the season. Erik Bedard (0-2) gave up two runs on eight hits with a walk and three strikeouts over five-plus innings of work.
"I didn't throw many strikes with my breaking ball," said Bedard. "I had two bad innings where I couldn't throw the ball where I wanted to."
Barmes homered in the third, but Rivera countered with an RBI single in the bottom of the frame that scored Mark Ellis to tie the game.
Pittsburgh had men on first and second with one out in the sixth, but Neil Walker lined out to short and Nate McLouth was caught off second to end the inning.
Matt Kemp singled to start the home half of the sixth and went to second on Rivera's infield single. Ethier then put the Dodgers up by a run with a base hit to left.
The Dodgers padded their lead in the seventh. Dee Gordon led off with a double and that brought Evan Meek to the mound for Pittsburgh. The next two batters struck out, but Gordon got to third on a stolen base. Rivera then singled him home and Ethier followed with a single. A pinch-hit base hit from Tony Gwynn then made it a 4-1 game.
Kenley Jansen worked the eighth and Javy Guerra pitched a perfect ninth inning for his fourth save of the season.
Billingsley is now 6-1 in his career against Pittsburgh over 11 games (seven starts)...Kemp, who finished the game 3-for-4, had a streak of nine straight games with an RBI snapped...The Dodgers left 10 men on base.
- PITTSBURGH: 1
LOS ANGELES: 4
Apr 12 12:57 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Tony Gwynn Jr. single to left scored Juan Rivera with two outs. On the play, Andre Ethier advances to second. Runners on first and second and Matt Guerrier due up.
Pirates 1, Dodgers 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 12 12:25 AM
- Juan Rivera single to center scored Dee Gordon with two outs. Runner on first and Andre Ethier due up.
Pirates 1, Dodgers 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 12 12:21 AM
- Andre Ethier single to left scored Matt Kemp with none out. On the play, Juan Rivera advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jerry Hairston Jr. due up.
Pirates 1, Dodgers 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 11 11:47 PM
- Juan Rivera single to right scored Mark Ellis with two outs. On the play, Matt Kemp advances to third. Runners on first and third and Andre Ethier due up.
Pirates 1, Dodgers 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 11 10:59 PM
- Clint Barmes lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Erik Bedard due up.
Pirates 1, Dodgers 0 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 11 10:46 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 11 10:10 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21