Capuano, Dodgers sweep PiratesApr 13, 2012 - 5:30 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Chris Capuano pitched into the sixth inning and a big first inning helped the Dodgers take a 3-2 victory over the Pirates to complete a three-game sweep.
Capuano (1-0) gave up two runs on six hits with seven strikeouts over 5 1/3 innings for the Dodgers, who at 6-1 are off to their best start since going 9-1 to start the 1981 season. Juan Rivera, James Loney and Juan Uribe each drove in a run.
"I had great movement on my pitches early," said Capuano. "The first win of the season is nice to get."
Jeff Karstens (0-1) gave up three runs on seven hits over five innings for the Pirates, who entered the series having taken two of three from the Phillies. Andrew McCutchen went 3-for-3 with a run scored while Michael McKenry hit a solo homer in the loss.
"In the first inning his changeup was good, but he got some elevated and they got good swings on it," said Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle. "They put them in places we weren't. After that, he was solid."
The Dodgers got all their runs in the first inning. With one out, Mark Ellis singled and Matt Kemp followed with a double. After Andre Ethier was hit by a pitch to load the bases, Rivera's sacrifice fly plated Ellis. Loney and Uribe each singled in a run for a 3-0 lead.
Pittsburgh wasted a leadoff double from McCutchen in the fourth, but McKenry hit a one-out, solo shot to center in the fifth to make it a 3-1 game.
The Pirates cut their deficit to one in the sixth when back-to-back singles from McCutchen and Casey McGehee left runners at the corners and a sac fly from Yamaico Navarro made it a 3-2 contest.
Mike McDougal then took over on the mound and gave up a single to Clint Barmes, but then got Pedro Alvarez to hit into a fielder's choice. After walking McKenry, Scott Elbert took over and got Matt Hague to line out.
Javy Guerra set the Pirates down in order in the ninth for his fifth save of the season.
The Dodgers host the Padres for three games starting on Friday...Pittsburgh continues its nine-game road trek in San Francisco on Friday...The Dodgers have won six straight against the Pirates...Karstens fell to 0-3 in six games against the Dodgers while Capuano improved to 5-7 in 18 games against the Pirates.
- PITTSBURGH: 2
LOS ANGELES: 3
Apr 13 12:50 AM
- Mike MacDougal enters the game for the Dodgers with a runner on first and two out.
Pirates 2, Dodgers 3 Top 6, 1 OutApr 12 11:44 PM
- Michael McKenry one-out, solo Home Run (1) to center. Jeff Karstens due up.
Pirates 1, Dodgers 3 Top 5, 1 OutApr 12 11:21 PM
- Juan Uribe single to center scored Andre Ethier with two out. On the play, James Loney advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and A.J. Ellis due up.
Pirates 0, Dodgers 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 12 10:32 PM
- James Loney single to left scored Matt Kemp with two out. On the play, Andre Ethier advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Juan Uribe due up.
Pirates 0, Dodgers 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 12 10:31 PM
- Juan Rivera sacrifice fly to left scored Mark Ellis with two out. Runners on first and second with two outs and James Loney due up.
Pirates 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 12 10:30 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 12 10:11 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21