Brewers edge DodgersApr 18, 2012 - 4:06 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Pinch-hitter George Kottaras stroked a two- run double with one out in the bottom of the ninth inning and Mat Gamel made a nifty slide at the plate to give Milwaukee a dramatic 5-4 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Corey Hart singled and pinch-runner Carlos Gomez stole second base to start the ninth. Gamel, who also belted his first homer since 2009, then walked. Jonathan Lucroy struck out, but Kottaras then laced a hit to the gap in right- center field off Javy Guerra (1-1).
The relay throw to the plate was on line, but the swipe tag by A.J. Ellis barely missed as Gamel slid in safely by using his left hand to tag the plate, sending off an on-field celebration to cap the opener of this three-game series. It also snapped LA's six-game winning streak.
"It's a tough one to lose. I thought Guerra's stuff was fine," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "He just left the last one up."
The Brewers snapped a four-game skid and sent the Dodgers to only their second loss in 11 games this season. Andre Ethier belted a two-run homer in defeat.
Yovani Gallardo struck out seven over seven innings for the Brewers, while Dodgers starter Chad Billingsley lasted six frames. Jose Veras (1-0) got the win for retiring the side in order in the top of the ninth.
It was a wild final three innings. Loney doubled in Ethier in the seventh to tie the game, but the Brewers went ahead 3-2 in the bottom half when pinch- hitter Norichika Aoki recorded his first major league RBI on a perfectly- executed squeeze bunt. The tapper back toward the mound scored Gamel, as the out was recorded at first base.
Matt Kemp then made a nifty over-the-shoulder catch in front of the center field wall on a ball hit by Rickie Weeks to end the seventh.
The Dodgers, though, went back in front the following inning against Francisco Rodriguez. With Mark Ellis aboard on a single, Ethier slammed a ball over the wall in center.
"Even when we got down, I thought we'd come back," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said.
Earlier, Gamel turned on a Billingsley offering and smacked a 420-foot homer to right-center in the second.
"The more I play on a constant basis, the more comfortable I become," Gamel said.
Lucroy then tripled when the ball popped out of Kemp's glove. Lucroy scored on a Cesar Izturis base hit, but the Dodgers got one back in the fifth thanks to an error from Weeks.
The Dodgers had five doubles...Ethier has 17 RBI this year and has driven in a run in nine of his last 10 games...Milwaukee is 4-1 when scoring first.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
Apr 17 10:59 PM
- Pinch-hitter George Kottaras doubled to right-center scoring Carlos Gomez and Mat Gamel with one out to end the game.
Dodgers 4, Brewers 5 Bot 9, 1 OutApr 17 10:58 PM
- Andre Ethier two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to center scored Mark Ellis. Juan Rivera is due up.
Dodgers 4, Brewers 3 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 17 10:24 PM
- Pinch-hitter Norichika Aoki squeeze bunt, pitcher to second scored Mat Gamel. On the play, Cesar Izturis advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Rickie Weeks due up.
Dodgers 2, Brewers 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 17 10:12 PM
- James Loney doubled to right scoring Andre Ethier. Runner on second with one out and Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 2, Brewers 2 Top 7, 1 OutApr 17 9:52 PM
- Juan Uribe popped out to second. On the play, Rickie Weeks's fielding error scored Juan Rivera.. Runner on first with one out and A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 1, Brewers 2 Top 5, 1 OutApr 17 9:31 PM
- Cesar Izturis singled to center scoring Jonathan Lucroy. Runner on first with one out and Yovani Gallardo due up.
Dodgers 0, Brewers 2 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 17 8:45 PM
- Mat Gamel one-out, solo Home Run (1) to right-center. Jonathan Lucroy is due up.
Dodgers 0, Brewers 1 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 17 8:40 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 17 8:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22