Braun lifts Brewers over Dodgers in 10 inningsApr 19, 2012 - 4:30 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Pinch-runner Nyjer Morgan ignored a stop sign and scored the winning run on Ryan Braun's sacrifice fly in the bottom of the 10th inning, as the Milwaukee Brewers defeated the Los Angeles Dodgers, 3-2, at Miller Park.
Matt Guerrier (0-1) walked Milwaukee catcher Jonathan Lucroy to begin the 10th. Lucroy was replaced by Morgan, who stole second with one out and advanced to third when catcher A.J. Ellis' throw bounced into center field.
After the next two batters walked to load the bases, Braun lofted a fly ball to shallow center field, where Matt Kemp reeled it in. Brewers third-base coach Ed Sedar held up the stop sign, but Morgan ran through it. Kemp's throw was slightly offline and Morgan was called safe by umpire Mike DiMuro.
"I was just looking for a fly ball and looking at Kemp throwing home," said Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke. "Nyjer had energy and he felt it. Sometimes a player sees things a little differently than the coach does, but it worked out good."
However, replays showed Ellis applied the tag before Morgan slid across the plate.
"I'm almost positive I applied the tag, but I haven't seen the replay," Ellis said. "Two tough losses, but I think they'll make us better in the long run."
The Brewers won the opener of this three-game set in their final at-bat as well.
Zack Greinke gave up two runs on four hits, walked two and struck out seven in seven innings for the Brewers. Kameron Loe (1-0) faced the minimum in the 10th to pick up the win.
Former Brewer Chris Capuano also earned a no-decision after allowing two runs on six hits and two walks over six frames.
The Dodgers grabbed a 1-0 lead in the first inning on Kemp's RBI single, but Mat Gamel tied it with a run-scoring single in the second.
Ellis grounded into a fielder's choice to score Jerry Hairston, Jr. in the fifth.
Milwaukee answered again in the sixth with Aramis Ramirez's leadoff home run. It was his first home run as a Brewer.
Greinke started his 200th career game...Ramirez hit his 313th career homer as a third baseman to move into sole possession of eighth place on MLB's list from that position...Capuano pitched in five seasons (2004-07, 2010) with the Brewers, going 44-48 with a 4.34 ERA. He did not pitch in the majors between 2008-09 while recovering from Tommy John surgery.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
Apr 18 11:24 PM
- Ryan Braun sacrifice fly to center scored Nyjer Morgan to end the game.
Dodgers 2, Brewers 3 Bot 10, 2 OutsApr 18 11:24 PM
- Aramis Ramirez lead-off Home Run (1) to left center. Corey Hart due up.
Dodgers 2, Brewers 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 18 9:54 PM
- A.J. Ellis grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scored Jerry Hairston Jr. Tony Gwynn Jr. out at second. Runner on first with one out and Chris Capuano due up.
Dodgers 2, Brewers 1 Top 5, 1 OutApr 18 9:27 PM
- Mat Gamel singled to center scored Corey Hart. Runner on first with two outs and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Dodgers 1, Brewers 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 18 8:44 PM
- Matt Kemp singled to left scored Mark Ellis. Runner on first with one out and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 18 8:16 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 18 8:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22