Harang pitches Dodgers over PadresMay 18, 2012 - 5:29 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Aaron Harang allowed just four hits without a walk while fanning six over seven scoreless innings to help the Dodgers split a two-game set against the Padres with an 8-1 victory on Thursday.
A.J. Ellis knocked in two runs and Bobby Abreu, Andre Either and Adam Kennedy each scored twice in support of Harang (3-2). Los Angeles avoided suffering a season-high three-game skid on the heels of a five-game winning streak.
Edinson Volquez (2-3) was tagged for five runs -- three earned -- on seven hits and three walks over five innings for San Diego, which has dropped three of five.
Los Angeles got to Volquez early for two runs in the first and another in the second.
Dee Gordon opened the game by working a walk and sprinted home on Abreu's triple two batters later. Abreu trotted to the plate on Either's bloop single to right.
Ellis started the second with a walk, moved to second on Tony Gwynn's single and third on a Harang bunt before Gordon plated him with a sacrifice fly.
Abreu scored on Cameron Maybin's error and James Loney doubled in Either in the fifth.
In the sixth, Padres outfielder James Darnell left the game with a left shoulder injury. Darnell landed awkwardly when trying to make a diving catch on a hit off the bat of Gwynn. He remained on the field for several minutes before walking off under his own power. Chris Denorfia replaced him in left field.
The Dodgers continued to pour it on in the seventh off reliever Alex Hinshaw. Ellis singled home Either, and after Gwynn was intentionally walked to load the bases, Harang beat out an infield single to score Kennedy.
After Ellis knocked in Kennedy to push the lead to 8-0 in the top of the ninth, San Diego got on the board in the home half when Denorfia singled home Chase Headley. John Baker then grounded into a game-ending double play.
Baker doubled twice...The Padres went 1-for-6 with runners in scoring position...Los Angeles begins a three-game set with the Cardinals on Friday...San Diego opens interleague play at home with three against the Angels starting Friday.
- LOS ANGELES: 8
SAN DIEGO: 1
May 18 1:10 AM
- Chris Denorfia singled to left scored Chase Headley. Runner on first with one out and John Baker due up.
Dodgers 8, Padres 1 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 18 1:09 AM
- A.J. Ellis grounded out second to first scored Adam Kennedy. None on with two outs and Tony Gwynn Jr. due up.
Dodgers 8, Padres 0 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 18 12:59 AM
- Aaron Harang infield single to pitcher scored Adam Kennedy. On the play, Tony Gwynn Jr. advances to second and A.J. Ellis advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Dee Gordon due up.
Dodgers 7, Padres 0 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 18 12:23 AM
- A.J. Ellis singled to right scored Andre Ethier. On the play, Adam Kennedy advances to third, Ellis advances to second on the throw home. Runners on second and third with two outs and Tony Gwynn Jr. due up.
Dodgers 6, Padres 0 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 18 12:20 AM
- James Loney doubled to right center scored Andre Ethier. Runner on second with two outs and A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 5, Padres 0 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 17 11:29 PM
- Andre Ethier doubled to center scored Bobby Abreu. Runner on second with one out and Adam Kennedy due up.
Dodgers 4, Padres 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 17 11:26 PM
- Mark Ellis infield single to second. On the play, Tony Gwynn Jr. tagged out between third and home to end the inning.
Dodgers 3, Padres 0 Mid 2May 17 10:40 PM
- Andre Ethier singled to right scored Bobby Abreu. Runner on first with one out and Adam Kennedy due up.
Dodgers 2, Padres 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 17 10:13 PM
- Bobby Abreu tripled to center scored Dee Gordon. Runner on third with one out and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 17 10:11 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 17 10:07 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21