Billingsley's gem lifts Dodgers over M'sJun 11, 2012 - 1:05 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Chad Billingsley tossed seven solid innings of one-run ball and the Los Angeles Dodgers thumped the Seattle Mariners, 8-2, in the finale of a three-game interleague series at Safeco Field.
Billingsley (4-4) allowed just two hits and three walks while fanning eight in the victory. Scott Elbert and Jamey Wright combined for a scoreless eighth and Shawn Tolleson allowed a run in the ninth, but closed it out for the win.
"He was good, he was aggressive today," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said of Billingsley. "In games like this in the past he's had some trouble when he gets a big lead and kind of seems to stay back, but today he was aggressive and I felt he was on the attack."
Andre Ethier smoked a grand slam, while James Loney and Adam Kennedy added RBI singles for the National League-leading Dodgers, who have won six of their last seven games.
Kyle Seager crushed a solo home run and Michael Saunders had an RBI double for the M's, who dropped two of three in this series.
Blake Beavan (3-6) was hammered for six runs on five hits and two walks in just two innings of work.
The M's jumped out to the early lead with a run in their first at-bat courtesy of a solo shot over the wall in right from Seager, but the Dodgers responded with six runs in the second inning to take the lead for good.
Bobby Abreu started the inning with a double and Kennedy walked three batters later to put men on the corners with two outs. Tony Gwynn Jr. ripped a run- scoring single into center and Dee Gordon followed with an RBI base hit to make it 2-1 Los Angeles.
Elian Herrera walked to load the bases and Ethier brought everybody home with a moon shot grand slam deep into the right-field seats to put the Dodgers comfortably ahead, 6-1.
The Dodgers added two more runs in the eighth when Loney brought home Abreu from second with a base hit into right field and Kennedy followed two batters later with a run-scoring single for a seven-run Dodgers lead.
Justin Smoak began the Mariners ninth with a solid base hit to right and hustled all the way around to score on Saunders' double into center field to cap the scoring.
"Billingsley threw a good ball game," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said. "He had a great feel for his breaking ball and did a good job with his fastball, particularly working down and then elevating. "He he did a good job against us, but I didn't feel like we did a very good job. We've proven that we're a lot better than that when we get to swinging the bats like were capable."
Beavan has allowed 17 earned runs in his last three starts...The Dodgers won their first series against Seattle since sweeping a three-game set July 9-11, 1999...It was Ethier's fourth career grand slam...Saunders has hit safely in 10 of his last 12 games...Mariners catcher Jesus Montero had his six-game hitting streak snapped...Los Angeles went 5-for-9 with runners in scoring position.
- LOS ANGELES: 8
Jun 10 7:14 PM
- Michael Saunders double to center scored Justin Smoak with none out. Runner on second and Miguel Olivo due up.
Dodgers 8, Mariners 2 Bot 9, 0 OutsJun 10 7:10 PM
- Adam Kennedy single to right scored James Loney with one out. On the play, A.J. Ellis advances to second. Runners on first and second and Tony Gwynn Jr. due up.
Dodgers 8, Mariners 1 Top 8, 1 OutJun 10 6:40 PM
- James Loney single to right scored pinch-runner Alex Castellanos with one out. Runner on first and A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 7, Mariners 1 Top 8, 1 OutJun 10 6:38 PM
- Andre Ethier two-out, Grand Slam (10) to right scored Tony Gwynn Jr., Dee Gordon and Elian Herrera. Jerry Hairston Jr. due up.
Dodgers 6, Mariners 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 10 4:47 PM
- Dee Gordon single to left scored Adam Kennedy with two out. On the play, Tony Gwynn Jr. advances to third. Dee Gordon advances to second on the throw. Runners on second and third and Elian Herrera due up.
Dodgers 2, Mariners 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 10 4:42 PM
- Tony Gwynn Jr. single to center scored Bobby Abreu with two out. On the play, Adam Kennedy advances to second. Runners on first and second and Dee Gordon due up.
Dodgers 1, Mariners 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 10 4:39 PM
- Kyle Seager two-out, solo Home Run (8) to right. Jesus Montero due up.
Dodgers 0, Mariners 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 10 4:22 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 10 4:11 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22