Dodgers hang on to edge MetsJul 21, 2012 - 5:47 AM Flushing, NY (Sports Network) - Matt Kemp and Luis Cruz both clubbed two-run homers, as the Los Angeles Dodgers held on to beat the New York Mets, 7-6, in the opener of a three-game series at Citi Field.
Andre Ethier, Juan Rivera and Jerry Hairston were also credited with an RBI for the Dodgers, while starter Aaron Harang (7-5) gave up three runs -- one earned -- on four hits and three walks in five innings.
Daniel Murphy collected four hits, including two doubles, and knocked in a run for the Mets, who halted a six-game losing streak with Thursday's win at Washington.
Johan Santana (6-7) was tagged for six runs on seven hits and three walks in three full frames. It marked the third straight start that the New York left- hander has surrendered at least six runs.
"I feel ok, I don't feel my best right now but at the same time I'm not trying to find excuses or anything," Santana said.
The Mets were trailing 7-4 in the seventh when Ike Davis hit a one-out single off reliever Shawn Tolleson. Jordany Valdespin then came off the bench and delivered a two-run homer to left field.
Ronald Belisario pitched around a two-out single by Murphy in the eighth and Kenley Jansen overcame a throwing error by the third baseman Hairston in the ninth to notch his 17th save of the season.
It was a productive first inning for Los Angeles, which put up a three-spot against a pitcher who had given up just two runs while winning all five of his previous career outings versus the Dodgers. Santana shut out Los Angeles over eight innings on June 30.
"We hopped out on him early, worked counts and got good pitches to hit," Kemp said of the opening frame.
Bobby Abreu led off the game with a single and came home on Kemp's 14th home run of the year, a one-out drive to left-center field. The Los Angeles center fielder also homered in his last at-bat on Wednesday, snapping a four- game skid with his 12th-inning blast off Philadelphia's Jake Diekman.
Ethier followed with a double down the left-field line and scored on Hairston's two-out single to center.
The Mets got two runs back in their half of the first on sacrifice flies by David Wright and Davis. Ruben Tejada reached on a fielding error by Hairston to open the frame and Murphy stroked a double before the pair scored on consecutive fly balls.
Los Angeles extended its lead in the second on a bases-loaded walk to Ethier, and Cruz's first major league home run made it 6-2 in the third.
New York trimmed its deficit to three in the fifth when Murphy plated Tejada with a double. The Mets were threatening for more runs, but Harang fanned Lucas Duda with men on the corners to end the inning.
Scott Hairston singled home Andres Torres to draw the Mets closer after six frames. But the Dodgers went ahead 7-4 in the seventh as Ethier worked a one- out walk, stole second and scored on Rivera's ground ball up the middle.
Valdespin improved to 4-for-22 as a pinch-hitter this season, with all four of his hits being home runs. His four pinch-hit home runs tie the club single- season mark set by Danny Heep in 1983 and matched by Mark Carreon six years later...Los Angeles began a 10-game road trip...The Mets took three of four from June 28-July 1 at Dodger Stadium...Wright went 0-for-3, snapping his home hitting streak at 16 games...The Mets traded infielder Omar Quintanilla to the Baltimore Orioles for cash considerations. Quintanilla had been designated for assignment earlier in the week.
- LOS ANGELES: 7
NEW YORK: 6
Jul 20 10:54 PM
- Javy Guerra enters the game for the Dodgers with none on and one out.
Dodgers 7, Mets 6 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 20 10:01 PM
- Juan Rivera singled to center scoring Andre Ethier. Runner on second with one out as Rivera advanced on the throw to home and Jerry Hairston Jr. due up.
Dodgers 7, Mets 4 Top 7, 1 OutJul 20 9:47 PM
- Scott Hairston singled to center scoring Andres Torres. On the play, Josh Thole advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Ruben Tejada due up.
Dodgers 6, Mets 4 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 20 9:29 PM
- Daniel Murphy doubled to left scoring Ruben Tejada. Runner on second with one out and David Wright due up.
Dodgers 6, Mets 3 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 20 8:54 PM
- Luis Cruz none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Jerry Hairston Jr.. Matt Treanor is due up.
Dodgers 6, Mets 2 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 20 8:07 PM
- Andre Ethier's walk scored Bobby Abreu. Bases loaded with two outs and Juan Rivera due up.
Dodgers 4, Mets 2 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 20 7:50 PM
- Ike Davis sacrifice fly to right scored Daniel Murphy. None on with two outs and Lucas Duda due up.
Dodgers 3, Mets 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 20 7:35 PM
- David Wright sacrifice fly to left scored Ruben Tejada. On the play, Daniel Murphy advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Ike Davis due up.
Dodgers 3, Mets 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 20 7:34 PM
- Jerry Hairston Jr. singled to center scoring Andre Ethier. Runner on first with two outs and Luis Cruz due up.
Dodgers 3, Mets 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 20 7:24 PM
- Matt Kemp one-out, two-run Home Run (14) to left-center scored Bobby Abreu. Andre Ethier is due up.
Dodgers 2, Mets 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 20 7:18 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 20 7:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22