Dodgers crush Pirates behind Ramirez, BillingsleyAug 15, 2012 - 4:49 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Hanley Ramirez finished with three hits, two RBI and two runs scored, while Chad Billingsley continued his post-All-Star break roll as the Los Angeles Dodgers blanked the Pittsburgh Pirates, 11-0, at PNC Park.
Billingsley (9-9) won his fifth straight decision, giving up just five hits with five strikeouts and one walk over eight shutout frames. He received plenty of support, as Luis Cruz finished with three hits and three runs batted in and Matt Kemp had two hits, two runs scored and one driven in for the Dodgers, who have won three straight and five of six overall.
"He's been good since he came up. The ball jumps off this kid's bat," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said about Cruz's contributions.
Kevin Correia (9-7) took the loss, giving up six runs -- five earned -- on seven hits with three strikeouts and one walk over six frames. Garrett Jones, one game after registering four hits and three RBI, doubled in the loss, Pittsburgh's fifth in the last six games.
"He's been effective. He's been on a roll," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said of Billingsley's recent success.
The Dodgers mustered their first hit in the third and put the first run on the scoreboard at the same time. Cruz singled to left, A.J. Ellis walked and Billingsley bunted both men into scoring position. Shane Victorino did his job by making contact, slapping an RBI groundout to second.
An inning with a little bit of everything allowed the Dodgers to gain a comfortable advantage. Kemp began the fourth frame with a grounder that deflected off Pedro Alvarez's glove for an infield single, and Andre Ethier followed with a grounder to Neil Walker, who dropped the ball during a collision near the second base bag. Ramirez followed with a swinging bunt hit that came to a stop just inside the chalk down the third-base line.
James Loney's groundout to first scored one run and Cruz's single to left plated two more for a 4-0 edge. The usual suspects added a pair more for the visitors in the sixth, as Ramirez singled to left, moved to second on Loney's single and scored on Cruz's third hit of the night, a base hit to center. Ellis' sacrifice fly allowed Loney to walk home for the six-run margin.
The Dodgers added injury to insult with a five spot against the Pirates bullpen in the ninth. Adam Kennedy singled with one out and advanced to second on Victorino's single to right. Both runners moved up on a passed ball and Juan Uribe walked to load the bases. Kemp's infield single plated one run and Ethier's single to left scored two more. Both Kemp and Ethier then came around to score on Ramirez's double to left.
Ramirez made his first error as a shortstop for the Dodgers in the fifth frame ... Billingsley's five straight wins have all come after the All-Star break. He has won seven of eight decisions against the Pirates ... Correia saw his seven-decision winning streak come to an end ... The game went was delayed by 55 minutes at the outset due to earlier rain and an impending storm ... The Dodgers notched their seventh shutout of the season.
- LOS ANGELES: 11
Aug 14 10:52 PM
- Hanley Ramirez doubled to left scored Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier. Runner on second with one out and James Loney due up.
Dodgers 11, Pirates 0 Top 9, 1 OutAug 14 10:42 PM
- Matt Kemp singled to pitcher scored Adam Kennedy. On the play, Juan Uribe advances to second and Shane Victorino advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 7, Pirates 0 Top 9, 1 OutAug 14 10:34 PM
- A.J. Ellis sacrifice fly out to center scored James Loney . On the play, Luis Cruz advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Chad Billingsley due up.
Dodgers 6, Pirates 0 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 14 9:39 PM
- Luis Cruz singled to right scored Hanley Ramirez. On the play, James Loney advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 5, Pirates 0 Top 6, 1 OutAug 14 9:37 PM
- A.J. Ellis struck out swinging. Runner on first with two outs and Chad Billingsley due up.
Dodgers 4, Pirates 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 14 9:07 PM
- James Loney grounded out to first scored Matt Kemp. On the play, Hanley Ramirez advances to second and Andre Ethier advances to third. Runners on second and third and with one out and Luis Cruz due up.
Dodgers 2, Pirates 0 Top 4, 1 OutAug 14 9:02 PM
- Shane Victorino grounded out second to first scored Luis Cruz. On the play, A.J. Ellis advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 1, Pirates 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 14 8:39 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 14 8:00 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21