Kershaw shines, Dodgers top Pirates for ninth straight timeAug 16, 2012 - 4:18 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Clayton Kershaw tossed eight strong innings while adding two hits, an RBI and a run scored as the Los Angeles Dodgers defeated the Pittsburgh Pirates, 9-3, in the third portion of a four-game set at PNC Park.
Kershaw (11-6) allowed three runs on six hits with eighth strikeouts to win his fourth straight start.
"Any time you get that many runs you just try to attack the strike zone and make them beat you," Kershaw said.
Matt Kemp knocked in three runs for the NL West-leading Dodgers, who earned their fourth consecutive victory.
Wandy Rodriguez (7-12) surrendered five runs on 10 hits and a walk over 5 2/3 innings to remain winless as a member of the Pirates. He is 0-3 over four starts with Pittsburgh since joining the team in a four-player deal with Houston on July 24.
"There was an assortment of different hits, but the overall command was what probably was challenging for him," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said about Rodriguez.
Andrew McCutchen homered for the Pirates, who have lost to the Dodgers nine straight times.
The Dodgers jumped out to a quick lead. Shane Victorino opened the game with a dribbler toward third base that Josh Harrison threw well over the head of Gaby Sanchez at first base, allowing Victorino to move to second on the error.
Following a Mark Ellis single which placed runners on the corners, Kemp beat out a potential double-play grounder to second, plating Victorino.
On the play, Pirates second baseman Neil Walker was forced to leave the game with a dislocated finger in his right hand suffered while bracing his fall after he was slid into by Ellis. Pedro Alvarez replaced him in the field.
Pittsburgh answered with a run in the second when Sanchez hit a ground-rule double to left-center field and came home on a pair of fly balls by Michael McKenry and Garrett Jones.
But the Dodgers regained the lead in the third after loading the bases with one out on singles by Ellis and Andre Ethier around Hanley Ramirez's walk. They would only get one run on a Juan Rivera sacrifice fly to right field, though, as Luis Cruz followed with a grounder to third to keep it a 2-1 game.
LA added to its lead in the fourth inning. Kershaw and Victorino hit back-to- back singles and advanced to second and third on Ellis' groundout before both came home when Kemp slapped a double to right. Ramirez then pulled a double down the third-base line.
McCutchen's solo shot to center field in the home fourth brought the Pirates within 5-2, but the Dodgers countered with a four-run seventh to put the game out of reach.
Ramirez, Ethier and pinch-hitter James Loney started the rally with three straight singles to produce a run. Cruz's ground-rule double to right brought home Ethier before consecutive sacrifice flies by Ellis and Kershaw gave Los Angeles a 9-2 lead.
Clint Barmes' RBI single in the eighth inning accounted for the final margin.
Victorino extended his hit streak to nine games ... Kemp has a seven-game hit streak ... McCutchen's homer was his 24th of the season, setting a new career high ... Pittsburgh has not beaten the Dodgers since Sept. 15, 2011 ... Kershaw improved to 1-1 in six career starts against Pittsburgh ... Rodriguez fell to 5-5 in 13 career appearances (12 starts) against the Dodgers. He has lost his last six decisions overall.
- LOS ANGELES: 9
Aug 15 10:11 PM
- Clint Barmes single to center scored Travis Snider with one out. Runner on first with one out and Starling Marte due up.
Dodgers 9, Pirates 3 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 15 9:50 PM
- Clayton Kershaw sacrifice fly to left scored Luis Cruz with two out. None on with two outs and Shane Victorino due up.
Dodgers 9, Pirates 2 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 15 9:18 PM
- Luis Cruz ground-rule double to right scored Andre Ethier with none out. On the play, James Loney advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 7, Pirates 2 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 15 9:11 PM
- Pinch-Hitter James Loney single to center scored Hanley Ramirez with none out. On the play, Andre Ethier advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Luis Cruz due up.
Dodgers 6, Pirates 2 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 15 9:09 PM
- Andrew McCutchen one-out, solo Home Run (24) to center. Gaby Sanchez due up.
Dodgers 5, Pirates 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 15 8:24 PM
- Hanley Ramirez double to left scored Matt Kemp with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 5, Pirates 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 15 8:13 PM
- Matt Kemp double to right scored Clayton Kershaw and Shane Victorino with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Dodgers 4, Pirates 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 15 8:11 PM
- Juan Rivera sacrifice fly to right scored Mark Ellis with two out. On the play, Hanley Ramirez advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Luis Cruz due up.
Dodgers 2, Pirates 1 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 15 7:54 PM
- Josh Harrison flied out to right to end the inning.
Dodgers 1, Pirates 1 End 2Aug 15 7:40 PM
- Matt Kemp fielder's choice to second scored Shane Victorino with one out. Mark Ellis out at second. Runner on first with one out and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Dodgers 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 15 7:11 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 15 7:06 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21