Brantly, Marlins down DodgersAug 27, 2012 - 3:45 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Rob Brantly hit a two-run home run as the Miami Marlins took a 6-2 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the finale of a three-game set.
Jose Reyes, Carlos Lee and Giancarlo Stanton all hit solo homers for the Marlins, who snapped a four-game slide.
Mark Buehrle (12-11) won his third straight game as he gave up just one run on six hits with three walks and four strikeouts over 5 2/3 innings of work.
"I got out of a bunch of jams today that I usually don't get out of but I did today," said Buehrle. "Any time we get home runs and score runs is huge."
Recently acquired Adrian Gonzalez had two hits and an RBI while Andre Ethier also drove in a run for the Dodgers, who lost for a fourth time in the past six games.
Aaron Harang (9-8) was touched for the loss as he gave up three runs on six hits with a walk and four strikeouts in 5 1/3 innings.
"We gave ourselves plenty of chances today," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly. "We could have scored 10 runs as easily as two. We gave ourselves lots of chances to do it, we just didn't do it."
Los Angeles took the early lead as Nick Punto walked with one out in the first, moved to second on a Matt Kemp single and came home when Gonzalez punched a single to left for a 1-0 advantage.
Miami got a one-out double from Greg Dobbs in the second, but he was stranded there as the next two batters recorded outs.
That started a stretch of seven straight outs by Miami, but Stanton homered with two outs in the fourth, a solo shot to center for his 29th home run of the season to tie the game.
The Marlins quickly went ahead in the fifth as Donovan Solano singled with one out and Brantly launched a shot over the right-center wall for the first homer of his career and a 3-1 lead.
"Off the bat it felt good," said Brantly. "I kept my head down and ran. It was awesome that the fan threw the ball back and it was great having my mom and day and other family here today."
The Dodgers loaded the bases with one out in the fifth, but Gonzalez popped out and Ethier hit into a fielder's choice to end the inning.
Los Angeles left men on first and second in the sixth, but got one across in the seventh to make it a one-run game.
With Michael Dunn on the mound, Kemp started the frame with a walk and Gonzalez followed with a single. After Ramirez struck out, Ethier singled to center to make it a 3-2 game.
Chad Gaudin then took the mound and Luis Cruz hit a pop up near first base. However, the play was ruled dead after Ethier was called for obstruction when he got in the way of Lee trying to make a play on the ball. Cruz then lined out to left to end the frame.
Miami gave itself some room in the eighth when Dobbs scored on an error from Ramirez off a grounder by Bryan Petersen.
Back-to-back homers from Reyes and Lee to start the ninth inning made it a four-run game and LA was unable to cut into its deficit in the ninth despite having two on with one out.
Ethier struck out in the first inning to snap a string of 10 straight at-bats with a hit, which tied a franchise record...Before the game, the Dodgers announced that Vin Scully will return to the broadcast booth for his 64th season in 2013...Los Angeles won four of the six games against Miami this season...Buehrle moved to 4-2 in six starts against the Dodgers...The dodgers start a three-game set in Colorado on Monday...Miami has off on Monday before starting a two-game series with Washington on Tuesday.
- MIAMI: 6
LOS ANGELES: 2
Aug 26 8:02 PM
- Carlos Lee none-out, Solo Home Run (8) to left. Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Marlins 6, Dodgers 2 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 26 7:40 PM
- Jose Reyes lead-off Home Run (11) to right. Carlos Lee due up.
Marlins 5, Dodgers 2 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 26 7:39 PM
- Bryan Petersen reached first on Hanley Ramirez fielding error scored Greg Dobbs with two out. On the play, Austin Kearns advances to second and Rob Brantly advances to third. Bases loaded and Justin Ruggiano due up.
Marlins 4, Dodgers 2 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 26 7:13 PM
- Andre Ethier single to left scored Matt Kemp with one out. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Luis Cruz due up.
Marlins 3, Dodgers 2 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 26 6:43 PM
- Mark Buehrle grounded out first to pitcher. None on with one out and Bryan Petersen due up.
Marlins 3, Dodgers 1 Top 5, 1 OutAug 26 5:24 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton two-out, solo Home Run (29) to center. Greg Dobbs due up.
Marlins 1, Dodgers 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 26 5:10 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to left scored Nick Punto with one out. On the play, Matt Kemp advances to second. Runners on first and second and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Marlins 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 26 4:27 PM
- MIAMI: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 26 4:12 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22