Cards clip Dodgers, increase wild card leadSep 14, 2012 - 6:27 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Allen Craig hit a go-ahead RBI single in the seventh inning and the St. Louis Cardinals opened a crucial four-game series with a 2-1 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Lance Lynn (15-7) allowed one run on five hits over six innings to earn the win in his first start since August 24. The righty walked two and struck out seven.
"I'm a pitcher," said Lynn. "I'm just trying to help the team. I'm trying to keep it simple. This was a big win for us."
Jason Motte worked around Hanley Ramirez's two-out double in the ninth to notch his 34th save of the season.
Skip Schumaker added a second-inning RBI single for the Cardinals, who bounced back from a sweep in their previous series and increased their lead over the Dodgers in the NL Wild Card standings to two games.
Josh Beckett made his fourth start since joining Los Angeles and gave up one run over 5 1/3 innings while Paco Rodriguez (0-1) was charged with the deciding run in the loss.
Adrian Gonzalez had a first-inning RBI double for the Dodgers, losers of four in a row and seven of eight.
"I still feel we're going to win," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly. "We have to keep working hard. We're trying not to press."
Rodriguez relieved Beckett with runners on first and second in the sixth and ended the threat, but walked pinch-hitter Shane Robinson to begin the seventh and gave up a one-out single to Matt Carpenter before exiting.
After Ronald Belisario lined out Matt Holiday, Craig slapped a single through the right side of the infield to score Robinson from second base.
In the bottom half, Luis Cruz reached with one down on an error by Carpenter. Dee Gordon entered as a pinch-runner, but he was caught stealing second by catcher Yadier Molina.
Mitchell Boggs tossed a 1-2-3 eighth and Motte induced Shane Victorino's fly out to strand Ramirez in the ninth.
The Dodgers began the game with Mark Ellis' single and Andre Ethier's walk before Matt Kemp grounded into a 5-4-3 double play. Gonzalez then delivered a Tobago into the left-center field gap to score Ellis.
Three consecutive one-out singles -- by Molina, Carlos Beltran and Schumaker -- tied the game in the second.
The Cardinals halted a four-game road slide ... Beckett is 1-2 in four appearances since joining the club via trade with the Boston Red Sox ... The Dodgers were 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position.
- ST. LOUIS: 2
LOS ANGELES: 1
Sep 14 1:16 AM
- Allen Craig singled to right scored Shane Robinson. On the play, Matt Carpenter advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 2, Dodgers 1 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 14 12:27 AM
- Skip Schumaker singled to left scored Yadier Molina. On the play, Carlos Beltran advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Daniel Descalso due up.
Cardinals 1, Dodgers 1 Top 2, 1 OutSep 13 10:39 PM
- Hanley Ramirez struck out looking to end the inning.
Cardinals 0, Dodgers 1 End 1Sep 13 10:28 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 13 10:12 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22