Kemp leads Dodgers past PadresSep 27, 2012 - 3:45 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Matt Kemp went 4-for-5 with a homer and 4 RBI and Adrian Gonzalez had two hits and drove in a pair of runs as the Los Angeles Dodgers hammered the San Diego Padres, 8-2, in the middle test of a three-game set.
"I'm pretty good when I get good pitches to hit," Kemp said. "If I can do that it gives me a chance to do something good for my team. I got a few good pitches and did my thing."
Nick Punto went 3-for-5 and scored four runs and Juan Rivera added a solo shot for the Dodgers, who trail the St. Louis Cardinals by 3 1/2 games for the final NL wild card spot.
The Cardinals were shutout by the Houston Astros, 2-0, on Wednesday.
Aaron Harang (10-10) gave up four hits and four walks while striking out three over 5 1/3 scoreless innings to pick up the win.
"His mix of pitches was solid, and we just didn't see him tonight," Padres manager Bud Black said of Harang. "I think that was the key, we couldn't get to him."
Yasmani Grandal and Chase Headley each knocked in a run for the Padres, who have dropped five of eight.
Clayton Richard (14-13) gave up six runs -- four earned -- on 10 hits over 3 2/3 innings to absorb the loss.
The Dodgers jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the first inning.
Back-to-back singles by Punto and Kemp put runners on the corners for Gonzalez, who ripped a base hit to right-center field to plate Punto. Hanley Ramirez followed with a hard-hit single to left field to push Kemp across.
Los Angeles kept its foot on the gas, adding one in the third, three in the fourth and two in the sixth.
In the third, Punto reached on a bunt single, moved to second on Kemp's groundout before coming around on Gonzalez's single to left field.
Rivera opened the fourth with a solo homer and Kemp's double scored Punto and Matt Treanor to put the Dodgers up 6-0.
Kemp's two-run shot to center field in the sixth extended Los Angeles' spread to 8-0.
San Diego finally got on the board in the seventh when Logan Forsythe scored on Headley's double. Grandal followed with a single to right field to plate Headley.
Harang won his first start since Aug. 18 and improves is career-record to 105-104 ... Dodgers third baseman Luis Cruz has hit safely in 10 of his last 11 games ... The Padres had won Richard's last six starts entering the game.
- LOS ANGELES: 8
SAN DIEGO: 2
Sep 26 9:35 PM
- Randy Choate enters the game for the Dodgers with a runner on first and two out.
Dodgers 8, Padres 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 26 9:02 PM
- Chase Headley doubled to center scoring Logan Forsythe with two out. Runner on second and Yasmani Grandal due up.
Dodgers 8, Padres 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 26 8:55 PM
- Matt Kemp two-out, two-run Home Run (20) to center scored Nick Punto. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Dodgers 8, Padres 0 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 26 8:24 PM
- Matt Kemp doubled to center scoring Matt Treanor and Nick Punto with two out. Runner on second and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Dodgers 6, Padres 0 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 26 7:45 PM
- Matt Treanor reached second on Jesus Guzman's fielding error. Runner on second with none out and Aaron Harang due up.
Dodgers 4, Padres 0 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 26 7:38 PM
- Hanley Ramirez singled to second. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Luis Cruz due up.
Dodgers 3, Padres 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 26 7:22 PM
- Hanley Ramirez singled to left scoring Matt Kemp with one out. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Luis Cruz due up.
Dodgers 2, Padres 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 26 6:44 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez singled to center scoring Nick Punto with one out. On the play, Matt Kemp advances to third. Runners on first and third and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Dodgers 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 26 6:43 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 26 6:35 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21