Wright lifts Mets over MarlinsMay 12, 2012 - 11:25 PM
"He is a star and he's showing exactly how good he is," Mets manager Terry Collins said about Wright.
Andres Torres contributed a two-run single for the Mets, who had their five- game winning streak snapped in Friday's series opener.
New York's Daniel Murphy finished 3-for-4 with a walk and an RBI, while Lucas Duda also had three hits.
R.A. Dickey (5-1) gave up nine hits but limited the Marlins to two runs over six innings.
Former Met Jose Reyes registered four hits for Miami, which fell to 9-2 in May.
Ricky Nolasco (4-1) will have to wait at least one more outing to establish the franchise mark for career wins. The Marlins right-hander was tagged for six runs on nine hits in 4 2/3 innings and remains tied with Dontrelle Willis (68) for the record.
"I did a bad job of deciding what to throw in certain situations," Nolasco said.
Wright singled in a run in the first after Nolasco walked the first two batters of the game and clubbed his fifth career home run off the Miami right- hander, an opposite-field drive to right, two innings later. The third baseman's two hits bookended an RBI single by Gaby Sanchez in the second.
The Mets went up 3-1 in the fourth when Kirk Nieuwenhuis stroked an RBI single after a catcher's interference call on Brett Hayes loaded the bases with two outs. Wright, who entered the game a .386 lifetime hitter (22-for-57) against Nolasco, grounded into a fielder's choice to end the inning.
New York scored three more runs in the fifth, all with two outs. Duda led off with a single and Murphy hit a one-hopper off Nolasco's back. Duda advanced to an uncovered third on the play -- Hanley Ramirez fielded the ball and threw late to first -- before being tagged out at home on Ronny Cedeno's grounder to second baseman Omar Infante.
Nolasco then hit Mike Nickeas and Dickey to force in a run, and Torres plated Cedeno and Nickeas with a ground ball to right.
Miami reliever Mike Dunn yielded three straight singles to start the sixth, with Wright trotting home on Murphy's base hit to left for a 7-1 New York lead.
The Marlins got an RBI double from Giancarlo Stanton in the bottom of the inning, and Ramirez doubled home Reyes with two gone in the seventh to close the gap to 7-3.
New York tacked on a run in the eighth when Murphy scored on a groundout by Cedeno, and a two-out, RBI single by Wright made it 9-3 in the ninth.
Wright raised his batting average to .402...The Mets improved to 14-6 against NL East teams this season...Dickey didn't record his fifth victory last year until July 25 at Cincinnati.
- NEW YORK: 9
May 12 4:37 PM
- David Wright singled to right scored Mike Baxter. Runner on first with two outs and Lucas Duda due up.
Mets 9, Marlins 3 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 12 4:22 PM
- Ronny Cedeno grounded out second to first scored Daniel Murphy. On the play, Ike Davis advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Mike Nickeas due up.
Mets 8, Marlins 3 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 12 3:58 PM
- Hanley Ramirez doubled to left scored Jose Reyes. Runner on second with two outs and Logan Morrison due up.
Mets 7, Marlins 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 12 3:40 PM
- Gaby Sanchez lined out to center. Runner on second with two outs and Emilio Bonifacio due up.
Mets 7, Marlins 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 12 3:18 PM
- Daniel Murphy singled to left scored David Wright. On the play, Lucas Duda advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Ike Davis due up.
Mets 7, Marlins 1 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 12 3:00 PM
- Andres Torres singled to right scored Ronny Cedeno and Mike Nickeas. On the play, R.A. Dickey advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Kirk Nieuwenhuis due up.
Mets 6, Marlins 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 12 2:40 PM
- R.A. Dickey hit-by-pitch scored Daniel Murphy on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Andres Torres due up.
Mets 4, Marlins 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 12 2:37 PM
- Kirk Nieuwenhuis singled to right scored Ronny Cedeno. On the play, Andres Torres advances to second and Mike Nickeas advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and David Wright due up.
Mets 3, Marlins 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 12 2:12 PM
- Lucas Duda struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Daniel Murphy due up.
Mets 2, Marlins 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 12 1:47 PM
- Emilio Bonifacio fouled out to third. Runner on second with two outs and Brett Hayes due up.
Mets 1, Marlins 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 12 1:41 PM
- David Wright singled to left scored Andres Torres. On the play, Kirk Nieuwenhuis advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Lucas Duda due up.
Mets 1, Marlins 0 Top 1, 0 OutsMay 12 1:13 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 12 1:07 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21