Pirates down Marlins thanks to Alvarez, LincolnMay 15, 2012 - 3:58 AM
Rod Barajas collected two hits including a home run for the Pirates, who have won three straight.
Brad Lincoln (3-0) tossed six innings of four-hit, two-run ball for the victory. Joel Hanrahan saw to it that Miami couldn't put together another walk-off win, retiring the side in order in the ninth for his seventh save.
"We couldn't come through," said Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen.
Hanley Ramirez homered among his two hits for the Marlins, who have dropped two of three.
Anibal Sanchez (2-1) took the loss, charged with six hits and three runs over seven full frames.
Andrew McCutchen began the winning frame with a one-out single, then raced home when Alvarez sliced his double to left.
Lincoln ended his outing with a 1-2-3 inning, then Jared Hughes tossed a scoreless seventh. Jason Grilli stranded runners on the corners in the eighth by forcing Sunday's hero Giancarlo Stanton -- who capped a six-run ninth- inning rally with a grand slam to beat the Mets -- into an inning-ending pop out.
"I was going out there and giving them what I got," said Lincoln. "That's what they asked of me and I did that. For me, it was just go out there and attack the zone, be efficient and try to get some quick innings and get deep into the game to try and save the bullpen a little bit."
McCutchen's sacrifice fly in the first put the visitors on the board, but Ramirez hit a two-out solo shot in the home half.
Barajas restored the Bucs' one-run edge on a two-out blast of his own in the second, but Emilio Bonifacio singled home Logan Morrison in the fourth to knot the game, 2-2.
Pittsburgh snapped an eight-game losing streak to the Marlins, dating back to October 1, 2010...The Bucs went 0-6 against Florida in 2011...Despite the loss, the Marlins have beaten the Pirates in 12 of the last 14 meetings since August of 2010.
- PITTSBURGH: 3
May 14 9:52 PM
- Pedro Alvarez doubled to left scored Andrew McCutchen. Runner on second with one out and Casey McGehee due up.
Pirates 3, Marlins 2 Top 6, 1 OutMay 14 8:40 PM
- Emilio Bonifacio singled to center scored Logan Morrison. Runner on first with two outs and John Buck due up.
Pirates 2, Marlins 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 14 8:18 PM
- Rod Barajas two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Clint Barmes due up.
Pirates 2, Marlins 1 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 14 7:29 PM
- Hanley Ramirez two-out, solo Home Run (7) to left. Logan Morrison due up.
Pirates 1, Marlins 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 14 7:23 PM
- Andrew McCutchen sacrifice fly out to right scored Jose Tabata. None on with two outs and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Pirates 1, Marlins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 14 7:15 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 14 7:10 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21