Johnson cracks win column as Marlins down PiratesMay 16, 2012 - 2:33 AM
Johnson (1-3) went seven innings and allowed two runs on six hits. He struck out six and issued just one walk.
Omar Infante and John Buck finished with two RBI apiece for the Marlins, who salvaged a split of this two-game series. They are 11-3 since May 1.
Kevin Correia (1-4), who has lost each of his last four starts, gave up six runs on eight hits over 3 2/3 innings. Michael McKenry had a solo homer for Pittsburgh, which saw its season-high three-game win streak come to an end.
The Pirates had scored a first-inning run in three straight games and did so again on Tuesday. Andrew McCutchen kept the streak alive when he worked a two- out walk, advanced to second on Pedro Alvarez's single and crossed the plate on Garrett Jones' base hit to right.
Undaunted, Miami tied the game in the bottom half, then went on top for good with a five-run fourth inning.
Infante tallied the tying run when he reached on a fielder's choice groundout and scored from first on Ramirez's double into the corner in left field.
In the fourth, a walk to Giancarlo Stanton and singles by Greg Dobbs and Emilio Bonifacio loaded the bases with no outs. Buck followed with a two-run single before a one-out walk to Jose Reyes again loaded the bases. This time Infante plated a pair with a single and Ramirez's subsequent double to right made it 6-1.
McKenry's two-out blast in the seventh capped the scoring.
Johnson improved to 3-0 lifetime against Pittsburgh...Correia hasn't won since April 15, at San Francisco...The Marlins were 4-for-12 with runners in scoring position while the Pirates were just 1-for-6.
- PITTSBURGH: 2
May 15 10:00 PM
- Michael McKenry two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Chris Resop due up.
Pirates 2, Marlins 6 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 15 9:24 PM
- Hanley Ramirez double to right scored Jose Reyes with one out. On the play, Omar Infante thrown out at home. Runner on second with two outs and Logan Morrison due up.
Pirates 1, Marlins 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 15 8:31 PM
- Omar Infante single to left scored Emilio Bonifacio and John Buck with one out. On the play, Jose Reyes advances to second. Runners on first and second with Hanley Ramirez due up.
Pirates 1, Marlins 5 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 15 8:28 PM
- John Buck single to right scored Giancarlo Stanton and Greg Dobbs with none out. On the play, Emilio Bonifacio advances to third. Runners on first and third with Josh Johnson due up.
Pirates 1, Marlins 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 15 8:23 PM
- Hanley Ramirez double to left scored Omar Infante with one out. Runner on second and Logan Morrison due up.
Pirates 1, Marlins 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 15 7:30 PM
- Garrett Jones single to right scored Andrew McCutchen with two out. On the play, Garrett Jones advances to second and Pedro Alvarez advances to third on Giancarlo Stanton's throwing error. Runners on second and third with Clint Barmes due up.
Pirates 1, Marlins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 15 7:22 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 15 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21