Zobrist, Rays sting MarlinsJun 10, 2012 - 4:49 AM
Elliot Johnson collected four hits and drove in three, while Jose Molina hit safely twice, scored twice and also drove in three runs for the Rays, who have won three in a row.
"It's been a long couple of months for me to get things going," said Zobrist. "But I felt good out there tonight and hopefully this is a sign of things to come."
Matt Moore (3-5) did enough to win, allowing five hits and four runs with nine strikeouts over six innings.
Justin Ruggiano slugged a three-run homer and Giancarlo Stanton added an RBI for the Marlins, losers in five straight and six of eight.
Carlos Zambrano (4-4) was dented in defeat for five hits and seven runs over just 2 1/3 frames. He departed due to lower back stiffness.
"I know he wanted to stay out there and pitch and I appreciate that," said Miami manager Ozzie Guillen about Zambrano. "But at the same time, I'd rather lose a game than lose a player."
Zobrist went deep in the third inning, putting Tampa ahead 7-0 with a two-run shot and hastened Zambrano's exit. He did so again in the fifth off Chad Gaudin to make it a nine-run spread, then Miami sprang to life.
In the home sixth, Jose Reyes worked a leadoff walk and Hanley Ramirez singled with one out ahead of Stanton's run-scoring infield single. Ruggiano followed with his homer and it was 9-4.
But the visitors quashed any hopes of a comeback with three in the eighth thanks to Molina's two-run double and a Desmond Jennings RBI double-play grounder. The final score was produced in the ninth when Johnson singled home Hideki Matsui, who began the frame with a pinch-hit double.
Tampa Bay broke open the game with a five-run second inning. The first five batters reached base, resulting in a two-run single from Johnson and a one-run base hit by Molina. A Moore sacrifice bunt then scored Johnson, Molina advanced to third on a Will Rhymes grounder and scored on an infield hit from Jennings.
Zobrist posted his first multi-homer game since September 25, 2008 at Detroit...Zambrano worked his shortest outing since June 30, 2011 for Chicago against San Francisco...Tampa Bay improved its interleague record to 39-42 against the Marlins, thanks to its sixth straight win over Florida/Miami...The Rays also improved to 18-25 on south Florida's Atlantic Coast.
- TAMPA BAY: 13
Jun 9 10:29 PM
- Elliot Johnson single to center scored Hideki Matsui with one out. On the play, Ben Zobrist advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jose Molina due up.
Rays 13, Marlins 4 Top 9, 1 OutJun 9 10:16 PM
- Desmond Jennings grounded into a double play, second to short to first scored Jose Molina Will Rhymes out at second Sean Rodriguez advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 12, Marlins 4 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 9 9:54 PM
- Jose Molina double to left scored Ben Zobrist and Elliot Johnson with none out. Runner on second and Wade Davis due up.
Rays 11, Marlins 4 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 9 9:45 PM
- Justin Ruggiano one-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left scored Donnie Murphy and Giancarlo Stanton. Austin Kearns due up.
Rays 9, Marlins 4 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 9 9:17 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton infield single to short scored Jose Reyes with one out. On the play, Donnie Murphy advances to second. Runners on first and second and Justin Ruggiano due up.
Rays 9, Marlins 1 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 9 9:14 PM
- Ben Zobrist one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (8) to right scored Carlos Pena. Elliot Johnson due up.
Rays 9, Marlins 0 Top 5, 1 OutJun 9 8:46 PM
- Ben Zobrist one-out, two-run Home Run (7) to right scored Carlos Pena. Elliot Johnson due up.
Rays 7, Marlins 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 9 8:07 PM
- Desmond Jennings infield single to first scored Jose Molina with two out. Runner on first and Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 5, Marlins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 9 7:45 PM
- Matt Moore sacrifice bunt to first scored Elliot Johnson with one out. On the play, Jose Molina advances to second. Runner on second and Will Rhymes due up.
Rays 4, Marlins 0 Top 2, 1 OutJun 9 7:44 PM
- Elliot Johnson single to right scored B.J. Upton and Carlos Pena with none out. On the play, Ben Zobrist advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jose Molina due up.
Rays 2, Marlins 0 Top 2, 0 OutsJun 9 7:39 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 9 7:16 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21