Moore holds Miami to one hit in shutout winJun 16, 2012 - 5:27 AM
Moore (4-5) surrendered a single in the first, but allowed just four base runners the rest of the way on three walks and an error. Moore, who received the victory in the Rays' June 9th win over Miami, fanned eight.
"We obviously had a bunch of offense tonight, so that makes it a lot easier (to pitch)," said Moore. "It was definitely a good clean defensive game and that helped me get through seven."
Desmond Jennings finished with four RBI, Will Rhymes knocked in a pair and Ben Zobrist added a solo homer for the Rays, who have won eight straight games against the Marlins. Carlos Pena walked four times and also scored four runs.
Miami starter Carlos Zambrano (4-5) struggled with control issues, giving up four runs on three hits and six walks in just two-plus innings of work. Donovan Solano's single in the first was the only hit for Miami, which has dropped nine of its last 10 games.
"Not pitching and not hitting equals bad loss," Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen said. "It's as easy as that."
The Rays struck for three runs in the second as Zambrano issued consecutive walks to start the frame. Jose Lobaton then plated a run with a double to right before a walk to Elliot Johnson two batters later loaded the bases.
Jennings then singled through the left side to make it a two-run game and B.J. Upton coaxed a two-out walk to push home Lobaton and give the Rays a 3-0 lead.
Zobrist ripped a leadoff single in the third before Pena followed with a walk to signal an end to Zambrano's night as he was replaced by Chad Gaudin.
After a strikeout and a caught stealing, Rhymes singled to left, scoring Pena from second to give the home team a four-run lead.
Zobrist then launched a blast to right in the fifth to extend the edge to five before Pena worked a walk and came around to score on a Rhymes single to press the margin to 6-0.
Pena worked a two-out walk in the seventh and scored two batters later on a Sean Rodriguez single through the left side of the infield to give the Rays a 7-0 advantage.
A Johnson single then loaded the bases and Jennings quickly cleared them with a double into the left-field corner before coming around to score on Matt Joyce's single to center as the Rays grabbed an 11-0 lead.
Moore was done after seven frames, but Burke Badenhop and Brandon Gomes each fired a blank frame to keep the one-hit shutout intact.
Miami third baseman Hanley Ramirez was out of the lineup after being hit in the nose by a ball in the batting cage before the game...Gomes was recalled from Triple-A Durham to replace Luke Scott on the roster after Scott was sent to the 15-day disabled list with back stiffness...The Rays' eight straight wins over the Marlins is their longest such streak in franchise history against a National League opponent.
- MIAMI: 0
TAMPA BAY: 11
Jun 15 10:21 PM
- B.J. Upton popped out to second to end the inning.
Marlins 0, Rays 11 End 7Jun 15 9:49 PM
- Elliot Johnson singled to right. On the play, Sean Rodriguez advances to second and Jose Lobaton advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Desmond Jennings due up.
Marlins 0, Rays 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 15 9:44 PM
- Will Rhymes singled to center scored Carlos Pena. Runner on first with two outs and Elliot Johnson due up.
Marlins 0, Rays 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 15 9:05 PM
- Ben Zobrist one-out, solo Home Run (9) to right. Carlos Pena due up.
Marlins 0, Rays 5 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 15 8:58 PM
- Will Rhymes singled to left scored Carlos Pena, advances to second on Logan Morrison's throwing error. Runner on second with two outs and Elliot Johnson due up.
Marlins 0, Rays 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 15 8:34 PM
- B.J. Upton walked Jose Lobaton scored on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Hideki Matsui due up.
Marlins 0, Rays 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 15 8:07 PM
- Desmond Jennings singled to left scored Carlos Pena. On the play, Elliot Johnson advances to second and Jose Lobaton advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Matt Joyce due up.
Marlins 0, Rays 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 15 8:02 PM
- Jose Lobaton doubled to right scored Ben Zobrist. On the play, Carlos Pena advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Will Rhymes due up.
Marlins 0, Rays 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 15 7:53 PM
- MIAMI: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 15 7:12 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21