Padres down MarlinsJul 28, 2012 - 2:27 AM
Yasmani Grandal delivered a go-ahead, bases-clearing triple and scored twice for the Padres, who have won nine of their past 13.
Kip Wells (2-3), who allowed six runs -- five earned -- in his last start, rebounded well, tossing six strong innings and limiting Miami to two runs on five hits.
Zambrano (5-9) surrendered five runs -- four earned -- on three hits and four walks in five-plus innings. Over his last nine starts, Zambrano is 1-6 with a 7.66 earned run average.
Jose Reyes tripled to extend his hitting streak to 14 games and knocked in a run, as the Marlins lost for the eighth time in their last nine games.
With the Padres trailing by two, Logan Forsythe launched a double to left field to open the sixth. An Emilio Bonifacio error and Chase Headley walk loaded the bases with no outs. Zambrano walked Carlos Quentin to force in a run before Grandal laced a rope to center field, which froze Marlins outfielder Justin Ruggiano and rolled all the way to the fence. Grandal ended up at third, the Padres were up 4-2 and Zambrano's night was finished.
Chad Gaudin entered, but Yonder Alonso snapped an 0-for-21 with a single to left to give San Diego a three-run lead in the sixth.
The Padres tacked on two more in the seventh after Headley worked a leadoff walk. Grandal and Alonso singled to score Headley and Cameron Maybin crushed a double off the left-field fence to give San Diego a 7-2 lead.
Dale Thayer and Brad Brach combined to toss three scoreless innings with four strikeouts in relief of Wells to close out the win.
The Marlins went ahead in the fourth inning when Reyes lined a triple into the right-field corner to score Solano. Reyes crossed the plate on Carlos Lee's infield single.
Since losing 20 of their first 25 road games, the Padres have gone 16-9 away from home...San Diego has won nine of its last 13 against Miami...The Padres bullpen has allowed six runs 45 1/3 innings over its last 16 games...In 10 career starts against the Marlins, Wells is 6-3 with a 2.04 ERA (15 earned runs in 66 2/3 innings)...Miami selected the contract of infielder Donnie Murphy from Triple-A New Orleans prior to the game...The Marlins have gone nine straight games without scoring more than three runs, tying a franchise record...San Diego went 4-for-11 with runners in scoring position and left eight on base...The Marlins went 2-for-7 with RISP and stranded seven.
- SAN DIEGO: 7
Jul 27 10:08 PM
- Cameron Maybin double to left scored Yasmani Grandal. On the play, Yonder Alonso advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Everth Cabrera due up.
Padres 7, Marlins 2 Top 7, 1 OutJul 27 9:23 PM
- Yonder Alonso single to right scored Chase Headley. On the play, Yasmani Grandal advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 6, Marlins 2 Top 7, 1 OutJul 27 9:22 PM
- Cameron Maybin flied out to right. Runner on first with one out and Everth Cabrera due up.
Padres 5, Marlins 2 Top 6, 1 OutJul 27 8:51 PM
- Yasmani Grandal triple to center scored Jesus Guzman, Chase Headley and Carlos Quentin. Runner on third with none out and Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 4, Marlins 2 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 27 8:45 PM
- Carlos Quentin walk scored Logan Forsythe. Bases loaded with none out and Yasmani Grandal due up.
Padres 1, Marlins 2 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 27 8:44 PM
- Carlos Lee infield single to second scored Jose Reyes. Runner on first with none out and Justin Ruggiano due up.
Padres 0, Marlins 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 27 8:08 PM
- Jose Reyes triple to right scored Donovan Solano. Runner on third with none out and Carlos Lee due up.
Padres 0, Marlins 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 27 8:06 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 27 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22