Ruggiano, Marlins edge Padres in 10 inningsJul 30, 2012 - 2:45 AM
Reyes looped a leadoff double to left field off Brad Brach (0-2) and after Carlos Lee was intentionally walked, Ruggiano won the game with a sharply hit ground ball to left.
Ryan Webb (4-2), recalled from Triple-A New Orleans prior to the game, pitched out of a bases-loaded jam in the top of the 10th. Webb took the roster spot of outfielder Logan Morrison, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list with right knee inflammation.
Donnie Murphy's two-run triple highlighted Miami's four-run sixth that included another RBI single by Ruggiano.
Marlins starter Josh Johnson labored through five innings, matching a career high with six walks. The right-hander, however, managed to limit the Padres to two runs -- one earned -- on two hits.
Yonder Alonso tied the game with a two-run homer in the eighth for San Diego, while starter Clayton Richard was tagged for two runs on five hits in 5 1/3 innings.
"Very seldom do rookies come in and make bold statements," Padres manager Bud Black said of Alonso. "It happens, but the majority of the time it takes some time for them to settle into the game."
Down 2-0, the Marlins moved ahead in the sixth. Miami put men on the corners with singles by Emilio Bonifacio and Reyes, prompting a pitching change. Lee put Miami on the board by driving Dale Thayer's first pitch to center for a sacrifice fly.
Reyes, who extended his hitting streak to a season-high 16 games, then stole second and advanced to third when the throw deflected into center. He scored on Ruggiano's two-out base hit. After Thayer intentionally walked Austin Kearns, the Marlins took a 4-2 lead when Murphy tripled the other way to right.
But San Diego tied the game in the eighth as Alonso homered to right field off Edward Mujica. The blast followed a leadoff single by Carlos Quentin.
The Padres plated a run in the third and fourth innings.
A two-out walk by Johnson to Alexi Amarista proved costly when Mark Kotsay followed with an RBI double to right. Richard then helped his own cause by lofting a sac fly after San Diego loaded the bases on two walks sandwiched around an E6.
San Diego agreed to terms with closer Huston Street on a two-year contract extension with a club option for 2015...The Marlins snapped a nine-game home losing streak to the Padres on Saturday...San Diego was 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position and left 14 men on base.
- SAN DIEGO: 4
Jul 29 4:57 PM
- Justin Ruggiano Walk-Off singled to left scored Jose Reyes. On the play, Carlos Lee advances to second to end the game.
Padres 4, Marlins 5 Bot 10, 0 OutsJul 29 4:57 PM
- Yonder Alonso none-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Carlos Quentin. Will Venable due up.
Padres 4, Marlins 4 Top 8, 0 OutsJul 29 3:41 PM
- Donnie Murphy tripled to right scored Justin Ruggiano and Austin Kearns. Runner on third with two outs and Brett Hayes due up.
Padres 2, Marlins 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 29 3:11 PM
- Justin Ruggiano singled to center scored Jose Reyes. Runner on first with two outs and Austin Kearns due up.
Padres 2, Marlins 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 29 3:07 PM
- Jose Reyes stole second advances to third on John Baker's throwing error. Runner on third with two outs and Justin Ruggiano at the plate.
Padres 2, Marlins 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 29 3:06 PM
- Clayton Richard sacrifice fly out to center scored Will Venable. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Alexi Amarista due up.
Padres 2, Marlins 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 29 2:13 PM
- Mark Kotsay doubled to right scored Alexi Amarista. Runner on second with two outs and Chase Headley due up.
Padres 1, Marlins 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 29 1:44 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 29 1:10 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22