Reyes, Marlins end skidSep 3, 2012 - 9:42 PM
Ricky Nolasco (11-12) went seven innings for Miami, allowing three runs -- one earned -- on nine hits. He struck out four and did not walk a batter.
The Marlins' five-run outburst in the fourth inning gave them a 6-2 advantage. They tacked on an insurance run in the bottom of the eighth after an error by Rickie Weeks allowed catcher Rob Brantly to score from third, who doubled to right to start the inning.
The Brewers committed four errors in the series opener.
Florida native Mike Fiers (8-7) was hit with the loss for Milwaukee, lasting just 3 1/3 innings, giving up six runs -- four earned -- and six hits. He struck out four and walked four.
Marlins closer Steve Cishek came on in the top of the ninth to earn his 12th save of the season after Mike Dunn gave up a double to Norichika Aoki and then walked Rickie Weeks. With two outs, he got Ryan Braun to groundout to second base to end the game.
Milwaukee scored the first runs of the game in the top of the second inning. Jonathon Lucroy reached on a fielding error by third baseman Donnie Murphy and Carlos Gomez followed with a home run to the left field, his 16th of the season, to give the Brewers an early 2-0 lead.
The Marlins got a run back in the third after Gorkys Hernandez reached on a bunt single and then advanced to second base on an error by Fiers, whose pickoff attempt got past first baseman Carlos Lee. Donovan Solano moved Hernandez to third on a fly ball to right field before scoring on Reyes' sacrifice fly, cutting the Brewers lead to 2-1.
The Marlins broke it open in the bottom of the fourth after three consecutive singles by Justin Ruggiano, Brantly and Murphy. Ruggiano scored on Murphy's hit to the right side, moving Brantly to third. Nolasco reached on a sacrifice bunt that was mishandled by Fiers, allowing Brantly to score and Murphy to move to second.
Hernandez then walked to load the bases and Solano came through with an RBI single to left field to score Murphy. Reyes followed with a two-RBI single to increase the Marlins lead to 6-2, capping a five run inning and ending Fiers' day on the mound.
Braun delivered an RBI single in the seventh for the Brewers final run of the day.
Giancarlo Stanton struck out multiple times for a fifth straight game, setting a new career high ... Reyes stole his 33rd base of the season ... Gomez hit a home run in his second consecutive game.
- MILWAUKEE: 3
Sep 3 4:16 PM
- Donovan Solano struck out swinging. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jose Reyes due up.
Brewers 3, Marlins 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 3 4:02 PM
- Ryan Braun single to left scored Jean Segura with two out. On the play, Norichika Aoki advances to second. Runners on first and second and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Brewers 3, Marlins 6 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 3 3:26 PM
- Jose Reyes single to center scored Ricky Nolasco and Gorkys Hernandez with one out. On the play, Donovan Solano advances to second. Runners on first and second and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Brewers 2, Marlins 6 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 3 2:37 PM
- Donovan Solano single to left scored Donnie Murphy with one out. On the play, Gorkys Hernandez advances to second and Ricky Nolasco advances to third. Bases loaded and Jose Reyes due up.
Brewers 2, Marlins 4 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 3 2:36 PM
- Ricky Nolasco bunt single to pitcher scored Rob Brantly with one out. On the play, Donnie Murphy advances to second. Runners on first and second and Gorkys Hernandez due up.
Brewers 2, Marlins 3 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 3 2:32 PM
- Jose Reyes sacrifice fly to center scored Gorkys Hernandez with two out. None on and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Brewers 2, Marlins 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 3 2:09 PM
- Carlos Gomez one-out, two-run Home Run (16) to left scored Jonathan Lucroy. Jean Segura due up.
Brewers 2, Marlins 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 3 1:33 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 3 1:12 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21