Nolasco, Marlins blank NatsSep 10, 2012 - 12:08 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Ricky Nolasco pitched a shutout and drove in two runs as the Miami Marlins downed the Washington Nationals, 8-0, in the finale of a three-game set.
Nolasco (12-12) gave up just four hits and a walk with six strikeouts and added a two-run double in the second inning. It was his second shutout of the season and fourth of his career. It was also his ninth career complete game.
"We've had our ups and downs but I think we've done a good job of staying level-headed and doing what we have to do," said Nolasco. "Sometimes the outcomes don't go the way we want, but nobody has ever quit."
Greg Dobbs had three hits and a run scored, Giancarlo Stanton added a solo homer and two runs scored and Bryan Petersen also scored twice for the Marlins, who have won three of four.
Edwin Jackson (9-10) gave up six runs on nine hits with a pair of walks and strikeouts over 4 2/3 innings for the Nationals, who came into the game having won six of their last seven.
"He is really nasty when he starts throwing that changeup and breaking ball," said Washington manager Davey Johnson about Nolasco. "That fastball was great today and when he's pitching like that, there's not a lot you can do."
Miami got all the runs it needed in the second inning. With two outs, Dobbs singled and Donovan Solano followed with a base hit. Rob Brantly then singled in a run and Nolasco helped his own cause with a two-run double to center for a 3-0 lead.
In the fourth, the Marlins worked two more runs across. Solano walked to leadoff the inning and moved to second on a Brantly groundout. Two batters later, Petersen singled him home and Justin Ruggiano followed with a double for a 5-0 lead.
Miami made it a 6-0 game in the fifth on Solano's sac fly and got a run each in the seventh and eighth innings thanks to Stanton's leadoff homer in the seventh and an RBI single from Carlos Lee in the eighth.
Nolasco faced the minimum through the first six innings, inducing double plays in the first and fifth, before stranding a runner on base in the seventh.
Chad Tracy doubled with one out in the eighth, but was stranded there as Danny Espinosa lined out and Kurt Suzuki grounded out.
Steve Lombardozzi singled with one out in the ninth and Bryce Harper followed with a single, but Nolasco got Roger Bernadina to fly out and Mark DeRosa to groundout and end the game.
Each team won nine times in the season series ... Washington begins a three- game set in New York on Monday ... Miami plays three in Philly starting on Monday ... Miami left 10 men on base, but did bat 5-for-15 with runners in scoring position.
- MIAMI: 8
Sep 9 4:36 PM
- Carlos Lee singled to center scored Bryan Petersen. On the play, Jose Reyes advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Greg Dobbs due up.
Marlins 8, Nationals 0 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 9 4:01 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton lead-off Home Run (33) to left. Carlos Lee due up.
Marlins 7, Nationals 0 Top 7, 0 OutsSep 9 3:29 PM
- Donovan Solano sacrifice fly out to right scored Giancarlo Stanton. Runner on first with two outs and Rob Brantly due up.
Marlins 6, Nationals 0 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 9 3:06 PM
- Justin Ruggiano doubled to left scored Bryan Petersen. Runner on second with two outs and Jose Reyes due up.
Marlins 5, Nationals 0 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 9 2:46 PM
- Bryan Petersen singled to center scored Donovan Solano. Runner on first with two outs and Justin Ruggiano due up.
Marlins 4, Nationals 0 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 9 2:44 PM
- Ricky Nolasco doubled to center scored Donovan Solano and Rob Brantly. Runner on second with two outs and Bryan Petersen due up.
Marlins 3, Nationals 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 9 2:05 PM
- Rob Brantly singled to center scored Greg Dobbs. On the play, Donovan Solano advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Ricky Nolasco due up.
Marlins 1, Nationals 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 9 2:04 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 9 1:36 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Marlins' Yelich scratched from lineup because of back spasms May 21
- Auction site says it's selling Bryce Harper fight jersey May 21