Marlins drop Mets on Brantly's RBIOct 2, 2012 - 4:30 AM
Carlos Lee opened the frame with a walk then moved to second on a wild pitch. Brantly followed with a line drive double to left field to knock in Lee.
"I got a pitch up in the zone away and got a good piece of the bat on it," Brantly said of the winning hit.
Giancarlo Stanton hit a solo homer and Jose Reyes knocked in a run for the Marlins, who won for just the second time in 11 games.
Heath Bell (4-5) earned the win with a scoreless eight and Steve Cishek tossed a perfect ninth for his 15th save of the season.
Mike Baxter and David Wright drove in one run apiece for the Mets, who have dropped three straight.
Ramon Ramirez (3-4) was pegged with the loss after giving up Brantly's double. Jeurys Familia made his first career start and gave up one hit over four scoreless innings, but walked six batters.
"Too many walks," Mets manager Terry Collins said of Familia's outing. "There's work ahead...but it's fun to work with when you have arms like that."
The Mets took an early 1-0 lead when Wright ripped a single to center field to score Ronny Cedeno in the fifth inning.
Baxter's pinch-hit RBI double in the sixth gave New York a 2-0 lead, but the Marlins scored a run in both the sixth and seventh innings to tie the game.
Stanton roped a solo homer to left-center field in the sixth before Reyes' sacrifice fly in the seventh tied the game at 2-2.
Marlins second baseman Donovan Solano had a 10-game hitting streak snapped ... Gorkys Hernandez went 3-for-3 for Miami ... The Mets had won seven straight against the Marlins entering the game ... New York starter R.A. Dickey will make his final start of the season Tuesday and looks to tie Washington Nationals starter Gio Gonzalez for the MLB lead in wins with 21.
- NEW YORK: 2
Oct 1 10:27 PM
- Rob Brantly double to left scored Carlos Lee with none out. Runner on second and Donovan Solano due up.
Mets 2, Marlins 3 Bot 8, 0 OutsOct 1 10:07 PM
- Jose Reyes sacrifice fly to center scored Austin Kearns with two outs. Runner on first and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Mets 2, Marlins 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsOct 1 9:47 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton lead-off Home Run (37) to left center. Carlos Lee due up.
Mets 2, Marlins 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsOct 1 9:19 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Mike Baxter double to right scored Kelly Shoppach with one out. On the play, Andres Torres advances to third. Runners on second and third and Ruben Tejada due up.
Mets 2, Marlins 0 Top 6, 1 OutOct 1 9:09 PM
- David Wright single to center scored Ronny Cedeno with one out. On the play, Daniel Murphy advances to second. Runners on first and second and Scott Hairston due up.
Mets 1, Marlins 0 Top 5, 1 OutOct 1 8:43 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Oct 1 7:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21