Mets down Marlins to end seasonOct 4, 2012 - 2:36 AM
Andres Torres also hit a solo homer for the Mets (74-88), who snapped a four- game skid.
Jeremy Hefner (4-7) allowed two runs on five hits and struck out seven over 7 1/3 innings in the win.
"There are obviously a lot of good things to take out of the first half and plenty of bad things from the second half. I think that we obviously have plenty of room for improvement," Mets third baseman David Wright said.
Bobby Parnell worked around a two-out single in the ninth to notch his seventh save of the year.
Gorkys Hernandez had an RBI and Bryan Petersen doubled and scored a run for the Marlins (69-93), who dropped 12 of their final 16 games of the season.
Tom Koehler (0-1) allowed three runs on six hits and struck out three over five innings to absorb the loss in his first career start.
"It wasn't a great year for all of us as a whole, we will take it for what it is worth and build for the next year," Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton said.
Torres crushed a solo homer deep to right-center field in the third to give the Mets an early lead.
Hairtson roped a two-run homer in the fourth and Davis added a solo shot in the sixth to put New York ahead 4-0.
Miami finally got on the board in the home sixth when Hernandez singled to left field to score Donnie Murphy.
A passed ball allowed Petersen to score in the eighth before a pair of walks to Stanton and Carlos Lee loaded the bases, but Manny Acosta retired Donovan Solano to end the frame.
Murphy reached on a two-out single in the ninth, but Parnell struck out Petersen to end the game.
The Mets recorded their fewest wins in a season (74) since 2009 when they managed just 70 victories ... Davis posted career highs in homers (32) and RBI (90) ... Reyes stole his 40th base. It is the fifth time Reyes has swiped 40 bags in a season, but the first time since 2008 when he stole 56 with the Mets.
- NEW YORK: 4
Oct 3 6:49 PM
- Bryan Petersen scored on a passed ball by Kelly Shoppach with two out. On the play, Jose Reyes advances to second. Runner on second and Giancarlo Stanton at the plate.
Mets 4, Marlins 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsOct 3 6:26 PM
- Gorkys Hernandez single to left scored Donnie Murphy with one out. Runner on first and Jose Reyes due up.
Mets 4, Marlins 1 Bot 6, 1 OutOct 3 5:36 PM
- Ike Davis one-out, solo Home Run (32) to left. Scott Hairston due up.
Mets 4, Marlins 0 Top 6, 1 OutOct 3 5:28 PM
- Scott Hairston one-out, two-run Home Run (20) to left scored Ike Davis. Lucas Duda due up.
Mets 3, Marlins 0 Top 4, 1 OutOct 3 4:54 PM
- Andres Torres lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Jeremy Hefner due up.
Mets 1, Marlins 0 Top 3, 0 OutsOct 3 4:40 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Oct 3 4:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21