Kotsay comes through for Padres in a pinchMay 2, 2012 - 6:27 AM
After the Padres' Edinson Volquez and the Brewers' Shaun Marcum traded seven scoreless innings on the hill, the outcome was left for the bullpens to decide.
Milwaukee's was the first to blink, with Francisco Rodriguez (0-3) catching too much of the plate on his 1-1 offering to Kotsay, who got the barrel out in front and crushed his fourth career pinch-hit homer. Will Venable singled ahead of the blast.
"I've just seen (Rodriguez) too often to know that that breaking ball is devastating against right-handed hitters," said Padres manager Bud Black. "It was just one of those calls where I felt at that point (Kotsay) was a better matchup."
Kotsay's round-tripper came less than a week after his pinch-hit, two-run double in the eighth inning gave San Diego a 2-1 win over the Nationals.
Huston Street locked down Thursday's win over Washington and did the same on Tuesday with a perfect ninth. Street has recorded a save in half of the Padres' eight wins thus far.
Volquez is still looking for his first win with San Diego despite allowing just three hits and two walks. Marcum matched Volquez pitch-for-pitch, also surrendering only three hits while issuing four walks.
Andrew Cashner (2-1) hurled a scoreless eighth to earn the victory.
The Brewers, one day after Ryan Braun homered three times and drove in six runs in a series-opening victory, did not record an extra-base hit.
"Usually in a tight ball game they have the good pitching so they are usually low scoring games and it comes down to who gets the big hit," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said of facing the Padres.
The Brewers fell to 2-3 on a nine-game road trip...San Diego snapped a three- game losing streak...The Padres go for their first series win of the season on Wednesday with Cory Luebke toeing the rubber opposite Yovani Gallardo.
- MILWAUKEE: 0
SAN DIEGO: 2
May 2 12:45 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Mark Kotsay one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Will Venable. Chase Headley due up.
Brewers 0, Padres 2 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 2 12:33 AM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 1 10:06 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22