Suppan super in season debut, Padres blank BrewersMay 3, 2012 - 7:50 AM
Jesus Guzman contributed a pinch-hit, two-run double for the Padres, who won the final two in the series following a three-game losing skid.
Suppan (1-0), called up from Triple-A Tucson and making his first major-league start since the tail end of 2010, scattered four hits, walked two and struck out two.
"When a guy keeps wanting to play and getting an opportunity to come back to the big leagues and win a major league game, it's wonderful," San Diego manager Bud Black said.
Yovani Gallardo (1-3) was charged in the loss for seven hits and three runs over six full frames for the Brewers, who have lost five of seven.
"We're not swinging well," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said of the team's recent skid.
Suppan worked out of trouble in the second, fanning Gallardo with the bases loaded, then the Padres helped him in their next turn at the plate.
Will Venable singled with one out and Mark Kotsay doubled him home to put San Diego on the board. Chase Headley and Orlando Hudson later walked to load the bases with two down, then Maybin's base hit plated two more.
The sacks were full again after a John Baker walk, but Andy Parrino's fly out ended the rally.
Milwaukee loaded the bases again in the fourth, but Suppan induced an inning- ending double play from Travis Ishikawa. He ended his outing by sending the visitors down in order in the fifth.
Ernesto Frieri, Luke Gregerson and Dale Thayer turned in four scoreless frames thereafter, giving up two hits and striking out four.
Suppan's last win came with the Cardinals against the Rockies, a 6-1 decision on October 3, 2010...The 37-year-old spent last season with Kansas City's Triple-A club in Omaha, going 11-8 with a 4.78 ERA in 28 games (27 starts)...He threw 74 pitches, 44 for strikes...Corey Hart and Jonathan Lucroy each hit safely twice for the Brewers...Both clubs are back in action on Friday, as San Diego continues its nine-game homestand by welcoming Colorado and Milwaukee heads to San Francisco.
- MILWAUKEE: 0
SAN DIEGO: 5
May 2 9:10 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jesus Guzman doubled to left scored Cameron Maybin and Andy Parrino. Runner on second with two outs and Will Venable due up.
Brewers 0, Padres 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 2 9:04 PM
- Cameron Maybin singled to right scored Mark Kotsay and Chase Headley. On the play, Orlando Hudson advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and John Baker due up.
Brewers 0, Padres 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 2 7:31 PM
- Mark Kotsay doubled to right scored Will Venable. On the play, Kotsay advanced to third on the throw. Runner on third with one out and Chase Headley due up.
Brewers 0, Padres 1 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 2 7:24 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 2 6:36 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22