Twins pound BrewersMay 19, 2012 - 4:28 AM
Josh Willingham hit a two-run home run while Joe Mauer went 3-for-5 with three RBI and two runs scored. Justin Morneau also drove in three runs for the Twins, who have won three straight.
"It was a very nice win for us tonight," said Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire. "We hit the ball all over the yard and played good defense and we were able to hold down the other side. Things went our way tonight."
Scott Diamond (3-0) gave up three runs on eight hits with a walk and three strikeouts over 5 1/3 innings for the win. He also had his first hit and run scored in the majors.
"I was just trying to focus on getting outs, but it felt awesome to get my first hit," said Diamond. "It's not something I'm going to be known for."
Ryan Braun went 3-for-4 with a solo home run for the Brewers, who have dropped three straight and five of six. Marco Estrada (0-3) was charged with four runs on six hits with a walk and five strikeouts over just five innings.
"He pitched really high in the zone in the first inning and just couldn't get the ball down," said Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke. "He got some outs on high pitches and the second inning he got the ball down better. Did okay through the middle innings, but threw way too many pitches. We need our starters to go longer so we don't have to go to the bullpen every night."
Willingham's two-run shot to left in the first, his eighth of the year, staked Minnesota to a 2-0 lead.
Milwaukee tied the game on a RBI groundout from Braun in the first and a Norichika Aoki RBI double in the third, but the Twins went up for good in the fifth when Mauer smacked a two-run double to center for a 4-2 lead.
The sixth inning saw Span punch a two-run single to left, but Braun led off the bottom of the inning with his 11th of the year to make it a 6-3 game.
The Twins got the run back in the seventh on Morneau's sacrifice fly and put the game away in the eight.
Ben Revere led off the frame with a triple and came home on Span's single. After Brian Dozier singled, Mauer doubled home Span and Morneau later brought home both runners with a single for an 11-3 lead.
Milwaukee loaded the bases with one out in the ninth, but Francisco Liriano got Edwin Maysonet to strike out and Corey Hart to ground out and end the game.
Milwaukee took four of six from Minnesota last season...The Twins tied their season high in runs scored...Minnesota stranded nine while Milwaukee left seven on base.
- MINNESOTA: 11
May 18 11:47 PM
- Justin Morneau singled to left scored Brian Dozier and Joe Mauer. Runner on first with one out and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 11, Brewers 3 Top 8, 1 OutMay 18 11:11 PM
- Joe Mauer doubled to left scored Denard Span. On the play, Brian Dozier advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Josh Willingham due up.
Twins 9, Brewers 3 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 18 11:06 PM
- Brian Dozier singled to left. On the play, Denard Span advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Joe Mauer due up.
Twins 8, Brewers 3 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 18 11:04 PM
- Justin Morneau sacrifice fly out to left scored Joe Mauer. Runner on first with one out and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 7, Brewers 3 Top 7, 1 OutMay 18 10:46 PM
- Ryan Braun lead-off Home Run (11) to center. Aramis Ramirez due up.
Twins 6, Brewers 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 18 10:26 PM
- Denard Span singled to left scored Justin Morneau and Alexi Casilla. Span advances to second on Ryan Braun's throwing error. On the play, Jamey Carroll advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Brian Dozier due up.
Twins 6, Brewers 2 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 18 10:18 PM
- Joe Mauer doubled to center scored Scott Diamond and Denard Span. Runner on second with two outs and Josh Willingham due up.
Twins 4, Brewers 2 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 18 9:45 PM
- Norichika Aoki doubled to center scored Corey Hart. Runner on second with none out and Ryan Braun due up.
Twins 2, Brewers 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 18 9:10 PM
- Aramis Ramirez grounded out to first. On the play, Ryan Braun advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Twins 2, Brewers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 18 8:31 PM
- Josh Willingham two-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left scored Denard Span. Justin Morneau due up.
Twins 2, Brewers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 18 8:20 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 18 8:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22