Baker helps Padres win in rare start for CashnerJun 10, 2012 - 1:38 AM
Will Venable, Logan Forsythe and Yonder Alonso each drove in a run for the Padres, who stopped a three-game skid.
Ross Ohlendorf (1-0) earned the win after giving up one run on five hits in 4 1/3 innings of relief. Andrew Cashner, who is normally used as a reliever, started the game for San Diego and gave up one run on two hits over 2 1/3 innings. It was only his second career start in 88 appearances.
"It worked out, we knew that (Cashner) was only going to go so many pitches," Ohlendorf said. "I was really happy with the win. My breaking ball was really good, and to get a win like that was really awesome. The offense did a great job and so did the defense behind me. I felt my job was to pitch deep into the game."
Huston Street tossed a perfect ninth to pick up his fifth save of the season.
Rickie Weeks and Martin Maldonado both drove in a run and Aramis Ramirez had two hits for the Brewers, who had a three-game winning streak snapped.
Michael Fiers (1-2) was pegged with the loss after giving up four runs on ten hits over six frames.
"Fiers threw too many hittable pitches and they did a nice job battling," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke. "They didn't crush balls, but they put the ball in play a lot. We're not getting the big hit when needed."
The Brewers took a 1-0 lead in the first. Norichika Aoki singled, stole second and moved to third on a wild pitch. Weeks followed with an RBI double.
San Diego knotted it up at 1-1 in the third. Everth Cabrera singled, stole second and took third on a wild pitch. Forsythe reached on an infield single, scoring Cabrera.
Milwaukee went ahead 2-1 in the fourth. Cody Ransom walked, moved to second on Nyjer Morgan's bunt single and scored when Maldonado singled to center.
The Padres, however, added one in the fifth and two in the sixth to take a 4-2 lead.
In the fifth, Baker singled and scored when Venable doubled to right with two outs.
Three straight singles in the sixth loaded the bases with one out for Baker, whose base hit plated two and put San Diego ahead for good.
San Diego added another run in the seventh to make it 5-2. Chris Denorfia ripped a pinch-hit double before scoring when Alonso singled up the middle.
"That's baseball, to put a lot of good swings on the ball, and found holes," Fiers said. "I'm comfortable enough with my stuff to throw a lot of strikes. I've got to learn from my mistakes, but in my mind the four runs in six innings is not a great job. I've got to do better."
The Padres picked up only their sixth win on the road this season, worst in the majors...San Diego used six pitchers. The combination gave up a total of eight hits and struck out 11...The Brewers fell to 15-17 at home this season and 0-27 when trailing after seven innings..
- SAN DIEGO: 5
Jun 9 7:27 PM
- Yonder Alonso singled to center scored Chris Denorfia. On the play, Chase Headley advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 5, Brewers 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 9 6:28 PM
- John Baker singled to center scored Chase Headley and Yonder Alonso. On the play, Cameron Maybin advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Everth Cabrera due up.
Padres 4, Brewers 2 Top 6, 1 OutJun 9 5:59 PM
- Will Venable doubled to right center scored John Baker. Will Venable advances to third on the throw. Runner on third with two outs and Logan Forsythe due up.
Padres 2, Brewers 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 9 5:38 PM
- Martin Maldonado singled to center scored Cody Ransom. On the play, Nyjer Morgan advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Michael Fiers due up.
Padres 1, Brewers 2 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 9 5:21 PM
- Logan Forsythe infield single to short scored Everth Cabrera. On the play, Will Venable advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Mark Kotsay due up.
Padres 1, Brewers 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 9 5:00 PM
- Rickie Weeks doubled to right center scored Norichika Aoki. On the play, Aramis Ramirez advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Cody Ransom due up.
Padres 0, Brewers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 9 4:27 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 9 4:12 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22