Brewers power past PadresJun 10, 2012 - 11:51 PM
Ryan Braun finished 2-for-3 with a two-run homer and an RBI base hit for the Brewers, who have won four of their last five contests.
Yovani Gallardo (5-5) allowed just two runs -- one earned -- on five hits and two walks with five strikeouts over seven innings to earn the win. John Axford was brought on in the ninth but allowed three runs in just one-third of an inning. Jose Veras got the final two outs of the game to nail down his first save of the season.
"It was another game that was hard to enjoy at the end," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "But I'm glad we won it."
Will Venable ripped a solo home run and Everth Cabrera added an RBI on a groundout for the Padres, losers in four of their last five games.
Anthony Bass (2-6) gave up four runs on five hits and three walks with six strikeouts over 5 2/3 innings to take the loss.
Trailing 2-0 after five frames, the Brewers finally got their offense going in the sixth, plating four runs to take their first lead of the game.
Norichika Aoki reached on an infield hit to start the inning, stole second and scored when Braun ripped a base hit up the middle for the first Milwaukee run. Rickie Weeks walked with two down and Maldonado followed with the big blow -- a three-run blast on a hanging curveball that just made it over the center field wall to make it 4-2.
Aoki walked with one out in the Milwaukee seventh and Braun smashed a two-run shot over the wall in left to make it a four-run game.
Axford started the ninth and allowed an RBI single to Chase Headley and walked Carlos Quentin with the bases loaded before being pulled in favor of Veras.
Veras fanned Yonder Alonso looking for the second out, but walked pinch-hitter Jesus Guzman to force home a run. Facing John Baker, Veras caught him looking at a 3-2 curveball to end the game.
"That was a great run there in the ninth, I really thought we were going to do it," remarked Padres manager Bud Black.
San Diego got off to a quick start in its first at-bat when Venable crushed his second leadoff home run of the season over the wall in left-center field.
Alonso started the San Diego second with a single and moved up on a groundout by Maybin. Alonso then advanced to third when Baker reached on an error by Gallardo and scored on a Cabrera groundout for a 2-0 lead.
It was Venable's seventh career leadoff home run...Veras' last save came on June 16, 2011 as a member of the Pittsburgh Pirates...Milwaukee went 2-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left five on base.
- SAN DIEGO: 5
Jun 10 5:20 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jesus Guzman bases loaded walk scored Logan Forsythe with two outs. Bases loaded and John Baker due up.
Padres 5, Brewers 6 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 10 5:17 PM
- Carlos Quentin bases loaded walk scored Will Venable with one out. Bases loaded and Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 4, Brewers 6 Top 9, 1 OutJun 10 5:08 PM
- Chase Headley single to right scored Chris Denorfia with one out. On the play, Logan Forsythe advances to second and Will Venable advances to third. Bases loaded and Carlos Quentin due up.
Padres 3, Brewers 6 Top 9, 1 OutJun 10 5:04 PM
- Ryan Braun one-out, two-run Home Run (15) to left scored Norichika Aoki. Aramis Ramirez due up.
Padres 2, Brewers 6 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 10 4:21 PM
- Martin Maldonado two-out, three-run Home Run (3) to center scored Ryan Braun and Rickie Weeks. Edwin Maysonet due up.
Padres 2, Brewers 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 10 3:56 PM
- Ryan Braun single to center scored Norichika Aoki with none out. Runner on first and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Padres 2, Brewers 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 10 3:49 PM
- Everth Cabrera grounded out first to second, scoring Yonder Alonso with two outs. On the play, John Baker advances to second. Runner on second and Anthony Bass due up.
Padres 2, Brewers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 10 2:31 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 1
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 10 2:12 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22