Molina, Descalso lead Cards past BrewersAug 4, 2012 - 5:21 AM
Joe Kelly (2-4) slapped the go-ahead RBI single in the fourth and surrendered three runs on 10 hits and two walks in 5 2/3 frames for the Cardinals, who have won seven of their last 10 contests.
"He learned how to pitch when he didn't have his best stuff," Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said of Kelly's outing. "He did a nice job of getting himself out of trouble."
Randy Wolf (3-8) had a two-run single for Milwaukee, but allowed five runs on nine hits and a walk in 5 1/3 innings. The Brewers had their three-game winning streak snapped.
"We let them run away from us," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "Instead of keeping it close and making the plays, we let them have extra opportunities."
The Brewers jumped ahead after plating three in the second, but the Cardinals took the lead following a four-run fourth.
Allen Craig led off the frame with a single and Carlos Beltran's double two batters later put runners on second and third with one away. David Freese's single to center plated Craig and Beltran.
After Molina flied out, Descalso laced a double to left, bringing home Freese. Kelly then helped himself and singled home Descalso two batters later for a 4-3 Cards edge.
A pair of Milwaukee miscues led to two Cardinal runs in the sixth and the home team added three more in the eighth.
In the sixth, Molina stole third and scored on Martin Maldonado's throwing error. Shane Robinson, who reached with a single, scored on Corey Hart's fielding error at first during Skip Schumaker's at-bat, pushing the margin to 6-3.
Craig had an RBI groundout in the eighth, while Descalso and Holliday picked up run-scoring singles to make it 9-3.
Earlier with two outs and the bases loaded in the second, Wolf lined a two-run single to left and Norichika Aoki snuck a run-scoring base hit through the hole on the left side to give Milwaukee a 3-0 lead.
Wolf dropped to 9-10 in his career against the Cardinals...St. Louis was 5- for-12 with runners in scoring position, while Milwaukee finished 2- for-12...Molina's steal was his second this year.
- MILWAUKEE: 3
ST. LOUIS: 9
Aug 3 11:34 PM
- Matt Holliday infield single to third scored Rafael Furcal with two out. On the play, Allen Craig advances to third. Runners on first and third and Carlos Beltran due up.
Brewers 3, Cardinals 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 3 11:24 PM
- Allen Craig grounded into a fielder's choice pitcher to catcher scored Matt Carpenter on Martin Maldonado's throwing error with two out. On the play, Rafael Furcal advances to third and Daniel Descalso out at home. Runners on second and third and Matt Holliday due up.
Brewers 3, Cardinals 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 3 11:22 PM
- Daniel Descalso single to left scored Yadier Molina with none out. Runner on first and Shane Robinson due up.
Brewers 3, Cardinals 7 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 3 11:08 PM
- Rafael Furcal reached first on Corey Hart's fielding error scored Shane Robinson with two out. Runner on first and Allen Craig due up.
Brewers 3, Cardinals 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 3 10:36 PM
- Yadier Molina stole third, scored on Martin Maldonado's throwing error with one out. None on and Shane Robinson at the plate.
Brewers 3, Cardinals 5 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 3 10:30 PM
- Joe Kelly single to left scored Daniel Descalso with two out. On the play, Shane Robinson advances to second. Runners on first and second and Rafael Furcal due up.
Brewers 3, Cardinals 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 3 9:50 PM
- Daniel Descalso double to left scored David Freese with two out. Runner on second and Shane Robinson due up.
Brewers 3, Cardinals 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 3 9:45 PM
- David Freese single to center scored Allen Craig and Carlos Beltran with one out. Runner on first and Yadier Molina due up.
Brewers 3, Cardinals 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 3 9:40 PM
- Norichika Aoki single to left scored Cesar Izturis with two out. On the play, Randy Wolf advances to second. Runners on first and second and Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 3, Cardinals 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 3 8:49 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 3 8:16 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21