Ramirez, Brewers top PiratesAug 25, 2012 - 4:31 AM
Corey Hart went 3-for-4 with two RBI and a run scored while Jonathan Lucroy also drove in a run for the Brewers, who have won four straight.
Michael Fiers (7-6) tied his career-high with 10 strikeouts as he gave up three runs on five hits with two walks in 6 2/3 innings to get the win.
"I had some energy coming out there tonight and wanted to get to them early," said Fiers. "They have some good hitters over there and I wanted to keep the off balance as much as I could."
Andrew McCutchen drove in two, Rod Barajas hit a solo home run while Michael McKenry and Neil Walker added an RBI each for the Pirates, who have lost four straight.
Wandy Rodriguez (8-13) gave up three runs on six hits with four walks over 6 2/3 inning. It was his seventh loss in his past eight starts.
"It's a challenging sport that we play and tonight was one of those games," said Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle. "It's a tough way to go down. You battle all night and come up just a little short. It seems like we've had that a lot lately."
Milwaukee held a three-run lead heading into the ninth and John Axford came on to close, but didn't finish. McCutchen walked to start the inning and Garrett Jones followed suit. Walker then lined a single to left to plate McCutchen, but Pedro Alvarez struck out. After Jeff Clement struck out, McKenry delivered a pinch-hit single up the middle to bring Pittsburgh within a run.
Kameron Loe, though, came on the mound and struck out Gaby Sanchez swinging for his second save of the season.
The Brewers jumped on top in the second inning. Ramirez led off with a single and came home on a double from Hart. Lucroy then singled home Hart. Milwaukee went on to load the bases with no outs, but Fiers struck out and Norichika Aoki hit into a double play to end the frame.
Pittsburgh didn't reach base in the first three innings, but got on the board in the fourth. Jose Tabata singled to leadoff and Travis Snider followed with a double. McCutchen then punched a single to left to tie the game. Jones struck out and Walker hit into a double play to end the inning.
Milwaukee went ahead in the seventh. With one out, Fiers reached base on a bunt single, but was then forced out at second on an Aoki grounder.
Jared Hughes took the mound and loaded the bases by hitting Rickie Weeks with a pitch and walking Ryan Braun. Ramirez then cleared the bags with a double to right-center and scored himself on a Hart single for a 6-2 lead.
Barajas got one back in the seventh when he clubbed a solo homer just inside the left-field foul pole for his ninth home run of the season.
Rodriguez won his last appearance when he pitched two relief innings against the Cardinals on Sunday in a 19-inning game...Milwaukee has won four of the seven with Pittsburgh this season...Rodriguez fell to 8-9 in 23 games against the Brewers.
- MILWAUKEE: 6
Aug 24 10:22 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Michael McKenry singled to center scoring Garrett Jones. On the play, Neil Walker advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Joel Hanrahan due up.
Brewers 6, Pirates 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsAug 24 10:19 PM
- Neil Walker singled to left scoring Andrew McCutchen. On the play, Garrett Jones advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Brewers 6, Pirates 4 Bot 9, 0 OutsAug 24 10:05 PM
- Rod Barajas two-out, solo Home Run (9) to left. Clint Barmes due up.
Brewers 6, Pirates 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 24 9:27 PM
- Corey Hart singled to right scoring Aramis Ramirez. Runner on first with two outs and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 6, Pirates 2 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 24 9:16 PM
- Aramis Ramirez doubled to right center scoring Norichika Aoki, Rickie Weeks and Ryan Braun. Runner on second with two outs and Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 5, Pirates 2 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 24 9:12 PM
- Andrew McCutchen singled to left scoring Jose Tabata and Travis Snider. Runner on first with none out and Garrett Jones due up.
Brewers 2, Pirates 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 24 8:09 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy singled to center scoring Corey Hart. Runner on first with none out and Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 2, Pirates 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 24 7:23 PM
- Corey Hart doubled to center scoring Aramis Ramirez. On the play, Hart advances to third on Clint Barmes' throwing error. Runner on third with none out and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 1, Pirates 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 24 7:22 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 24 7:07 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21