Gomez, Ramirez power Brewers past struggling PiratesAug 26, 2012 - 11:41 PM
Rogers (2-1), coming off his first career victory, scattered three hits and three walks in five scoreless innings for the Brewers, who took the series and have won five of six overall.
"We need to be able to beat the teams in front of us. Not just for now, but for next year and whenever we get in series that are tight," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said.
The playoff-contending Pirates have dropped six of their last eight heading into a three-game series against the NL Central-rival Cardinals.
Erik Bedard (7-14) took the loss after allowing six runs on six hits and two walks in 4 2/3 frames.
Bedard entered Sunday's outing with a 2.63 ERA in 11 previous home starts and did not allow a hit through the first 3 2/3 innings.
Things changed drastically in the fourth, however, as Corey Hart and Jonathan Lucroy each singled with two away in front of Gomez, who followed with his 13th home run of the season over the left-field wall.
"I made some good pitches early, and then they started hitting the ball around," Bedard said.
Rogers doubled off his counterpart to open the fourth and scored two batters later on Rickie Weeks' base hit up the middle.
Ramirez ended Bedard's outing by taking a 2-0 offering over the center-field wall, and Norichika Aoki tacked on a sacrifice fly after Jean Segura led off the sixth with a triple.
Manny Parra hurled two scoreless innings behind Rogers, while Jose Veras and Kameron Loe closed out the shutout with an inning of relief apiece.
Sunday may have been Rogers' final start, as the 26-year-old right-hander has thrown 129 innings between Milwaukee and Triple-A Nashville after throwing just 44 1/3 innings last year following wrist surgery ... The Pirates, who stranded 12 runners, have not won a home series since a three-game sweep of the Marlins in late July ... Lucroy had three of Milwaukee's 13 hits.
- MILWAUKEE: 7
Aug 26 4:50 PM
- Norichika Aoki sacrifice fly out to left scored Jean Segura. Runner on first with one out and Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 7, Pirates 0 Top 6, 1 OutAug 26 3:42 PM
- Aramis Ramirez two-out, two-run Home Run (18) to center scored Rickie Weeks. Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 6, Pirates 0 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 26 3:21 PM
- Rickie Weeks singled to center scored Mark Rogers. Runner on first with one out and Ryan Braun due up.
Brewers 4, Pirates 0 Top 5, 1 OutAug 26 3:16 PM
- Carlos Gomez two-out, three-run Home Run (13) to left scored Corey Hart and Jonathan Lucroy. Jean Segura due up.
Brewers 3, Pirates 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 26 2:59 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 26 1:37 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21