Braun belts Brewers past Cards in 13Sep 8, 2012 - 8:06 AM
The one-out blast to left field off Lance Lynn (13-7) was Braun's NL-leading 38th of the season and gave the reigning MVP his 100th RBI of the year.
Braun has now recorded at least 100 RBI in five straight seasons -- a franchise record.
"This is the type of win that feels more meaningful to us as a team," Braun said. "It truly tests your resiliency and perseverance."
Brandon Kintzler (1-0) tossed a scoreless 12th to secure the win and John Axford worked around a one-out walk in the ninth to close the game, which featured a 2-hour, 20-minute rain delay, and pick up his 26th save of the season.
"I think the guys hung in there enough," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "The relief pitching did a great job holding them down and then Brauny with the big one."
The Cardinals, who hold a 1 1/2-game lead over the Pittsburgh Pirates and Los Angeles Dodgers for the final NL Wild Card spot, left the bases loaded in the 11th when Kameron Loe grounded out Adron Chambers to end the inning.
"More than anything else that's what sticks out," Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said of his club going 1-for-12 with runners in scoring position. "The opportunities we had with men in scoring position and just couldn't come through. That was the game."
The Brewers, who are six games off the pace for the last Wild Card spot, led 4-2 in the eighth before Matt Carpenter worked a leadoff walk and Yadier Molina belted a two-out homer off Jim Henderson.
Friday's tilt featured a matchup of 14-game winners in Yovani Gallardo and Kyle Lohse, although neither factored into the decision.
Gallardo gave up two runs on six hits over six innings. The righty did not issue a walk, struck out six, and left trailing 2-1.
Lohse, who hasn't lost since June 15, was charged with two runs over 6 1/3 frames and departed after walking Martin Maldonado and giving up a single to Jeff Bianchi. Pinch-hitter Travis Ishikawa then greeted Edward Mujica with a game-tying double.
In the eighth, Corey Hart singled, stole second with two down and crossed the plate when shortstop Daniel Descalso made an errant throw to first on Carlos Gomez's grounder.
Gomez then stole second and Maldonado followed with a base hit through the left side of the infield for a 4-2 Milwaukee advantage.
The Cardinals grabbed a 2-0 lead in the first inning courtesy of an RBI double byCarpenter and a sacrifice fly by Allen Craig.
In the fourth, Rickie Weeks and Braun led off with back-to-back singles before Taylor Green's run-scoring groundout made it 2-1.
Although he didn't factor into the decision, Gallardo is just 1-9 in 13 career starts against the Cardinals ... St. Louis leads the season-series, 8-5 ... Braun's 38 homers are a new career high.
- MILWAUKEE: 5
ST. LOUIS: 4
Sep 8 3:06 AM
- Ryan Braun one-out, solo Home Run (38) to left. Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 5, Cardinals 4 Top 13, 1 OutSep 8 2:49 AM
- David Freese struck out swinging to end the inning.
Brewers 4, Cardinals 4 End 8Sep 8 1:21 AM
- Martin Maldonado singled to left scored Carlos Gomez with two outs. On the play Martin Maldonado was tagged out at second to end the inning.
Brewers 4, Cardinals 2 Mid 8Sep 8 1:07 AM
- Carlos Gomez singled to short. On the play, Corey Hart scored on Daniel Descalso's throwing error with two outs. Runner on first and Martin Maldonado due up.
Brewers 3, Cardinals 2 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 8 1:04 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Travis Ishikawa doubled to right scoring Martin Maldonado with one out. On the play, Jeff Bianchi advances to third. Runners on second and third and Norichika Aoki due up.
Brewers 2, Cardinals 2 Top 7, 1 OutSep 8 12:35 AM
- Taylor Green grounded out to first scoring Rickie Weeks with two outs. On the play, Ryan Braun advances to third. Runner on third and Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 1, Cardinals 2 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 7 11:40 PM
- Allen Craig sacrifice fly out to center scoring Matt Carpenter with two outs. None on and Yadier Molina due up.
Brewers 0, Cardinals 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 7 10:51 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 7 10:37 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21