Murphy and Mets take down BrewersSep 15, 2012 - 4:08 AM
Ike Davis and Josh Thole also drove in a run for the Mets, who had dropped eight of their last nine entering the game.
"They (the Brewers) play great here," Mets manager Terry Collins said. "They're still in the (playoff) hunt. If they make a mistake we have to capitalize, and tonight we did."
Jonathan Niese (11-9) gave up two runs on six hits and struck out five over six innings to snap a three-start losing streak.
Aramis Ramirez went 2-for-4 and Carlos Gomez, Nyjer Morgan and Mike Fiers each knocked in a run for the Brewers, who had a three-game winning streak snapped.
Fiers (9-8) was tagged for four runs on six hits and struck out four over five innings to absorb the loss.
"Larry was tight. I know pitchers want pitches off the plate, but there weren't many that Larry missed," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said of home plate umpire Larry Vanover." We haven't played this type of game in quite a while. We're going to have one every once in a while. No one expected us to be in this thing (the wild card race), but we got back in it. We just didn't play that well today.
The Mets pushed two across in the first two innings.
In the first, Daniel Murphy walked then moved to third on David Wright's double to left field. Ike Davis followed with a ground out to first base, allowing Murphy to score.
Lucas Duda then ripped a ground-rule double to right field to score Wright
In the second, Niese singled before Murphy smacked a two-run homer over the right-field wall.
The Brewers got two back in the home half to cut it to 4-2. Jonathan Lucroy singled, moved to second on a Carlos Gomez bloop single, then scored when Travis Ishikawa hit a ground-rule double to left field.
Two batters later, Fiers helped his own cause with a single to score Ishikawa.
New York added three in the sixth inning to push its lead to 7-2.
Duda opened the inning with his 14th homer of the season. After a Jordany Valdespin pop out, Andres Torres reached on a throwing error before coming around on a Thole double. Nieses' infield single allowed Thole to move to third before crossing the plate on Ruben Tejada's ground out.
Milwaukee added a run in the ninth when Morgan roped a triple to right-center field to score Jean Segura.
Niese walked three batter for the first time in his last 18 starts which he went at least six innings ... New York was just 2-for-1- with runners in scoring position ... David Wright, who went 2-for-5, extended his hitting streak to eight games ... The Brewers fell to 11-17 against the NL East ... Milwaukee went 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position and left eight runners on base.
- NEW YORK: 7
Sep 14 11:22 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Nyjer Morgan tripled to right scoring Jean Segura with one out. Runner on third and Norichika Aoki due up.
Mets 7, Brewers 3 Bot 9, 1 OutSep 14 11:20 PM
- Ruben Tejada grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second. On the play, Jon Niese out at second. Josh Thole scored on Rickie Weeks's throwing error with two out. Runner on first and Daniel Murphy due up.
Mets 7, Brewers 2 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 14 10:11 PM
- Jon Niese singled to third. Runners on first and second with one out and Ruben Tejada due up.
Mets 6, Brewers 2 Top 6, 1 OutSep 14 10:04 PM
- Lucas Duda lead-off Home Run (14) to center. Jordany Valdespin due up.
Mets 5, Brewers 2 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 14 9:54 PM
- Michael Fiers singled to right scoring Travis Ishikawa with one out. On the play, Jean Segura advances to third. Runners on first and third and Norichika Aoki due up.
Mets 4, Brewers 2 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 14 8:58 PM
- Travis Ishikawa ground-rule-double to left scored Jonathan Lucroy with none out. On the play, Carlos Gomez advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jean Segura due up.
Mets 4, Brewers 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 14 8:56 PM
- Daniel Murphy two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right scored Jon Niese. David Wright due up.
Mets 4, Brewers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 14 8:45 PM
- Jordany Valdespin walked. Runners on first and second with two outs and Andres Torres due up.
Mets 2, Brewers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 14 8:26 PM
- Ike Davis grounded out to first scoring Daniel Murphy with two out. On the play, David Wright advances to third. Runner on third and Lucas Duda due up.
Mets 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 14 8:21 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 14 8:10 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21