Weeks, Brewers down MetsSep 16, 2012 - 3:56 AM
Pinch-hit triples from Logan Schafer and Travis Ishikawa plated three runs for the Brewers, who have won 19 of their last 25 games to stay within striking distance of the NL Wild Card chase.
Ike Davis hit a two-run homer in the ninth to bring the Mets within three, but it wasn't enough, as New York dropped its seventh game in its last eight tries.
Shaun Marcum didn't pitch long enough to be considered for the win as he was pinch-hit for during a five-run fourth inning for the Brewers. Brandon Kitnzler (2-0) positioned himself for the victory after pitching a scoreless fifth.
Ruben Tejada, Daniel Murphy and Lucas Duda each came through with an RBI for the Mets, but starting pitcher Jenrry Mejia (0-1) lasted just three-plus innings in his first start of the season, allowing five runs on six hits while walking five.
"Command is what we really have to get straightened out," said Mets manager Terry Collins of his young pitcher. "Once the game starts you hope he settles down. I'm sure he was pretty excited. It's tough to pitch up here behind in the count."
After Duda brought home Murphy in the top of the first, Ryan Braun came through with an RBI double in the bottom half to plate Weeks, who drew a one- out walk.
The Mets put together a three-run fourth before being shut out over the next four innings. Jordany Valdespin singled on the ground to right, moved to second on a wild pitch from Marcum and stole third with Andres Torres at the plate. Torres drew a walk and Mejia sacrificed him to second while Valdespin came around to score.
Tejada reached on a base hit through the right side to bring Torres home from second before Murphy doubled to left to plate Tejada and give the Mets a 4-1 lead. Marcum struck out David Wright to end his outing, scattering four runs on seven hits.
"Shaun didn't have good command. He's a command pitcher but he didn't have it," said Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke. "I don't know what the reason is. I thought his stuff was good, his fastball was good, but his location wasn't."
The Mets' advantage didn't last long as the Brewers struck back in the bottom half of the fourth. Nyjer Morgan drew a leadoff walk and moved to second on a base hit by Jean Segura. Schafer pinch-hit for Marcum and drove both runners in with a triple to right field.
Mejia walked Norichika Aoki before he was replaced by Jeremy Hefner, who threw a wild pitch to Weeks which allowed Aoki to advance to second and Schafer to score from third. Weeks then hit a two-run homer to left-center, his 20th of the season, to cap a five-run inning for the Brewers.
After Ishikawa and Aoki each brought home a run in the bottom of the fifth, Milwaukee added one more in the seventh. Segura got on with a leadoff walk, stole second and moved to third on Kelly Shoppach's throwing error before scoring on an RBI double from Weeks.
The Mets were 3-for-12 with runners in scoring position and left nine on base ... The Brewers went 6-for-15 with runners in scoring position and also left nine stranded ... New York will send Chris Young to the mound on Sunday to face Milwaukee starter Wily Peralta in the rubber match of the series.
- NEW YORK: 6
Sep 15 10:57 PM
- Lucas Duda struck out looking. None on with two out and Jordany Valdespin due up.
Mets 6, Brewers 9 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 15 10:55 PM
- Rickie Weeks double to center scored Jean Segura. Runner on second with two out and Ryan Braun due up.
Mets 4, Brewers 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 15 10:29 PM
- Norichika Aoki single to center scored Travis Ishikawa. Runner on first with two out and Rickie Weeks due up.
Mets 4, Brewers 8 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 15 9:35 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Travis Ishikawa triple to right scored Nyjer Morgan. Runner on third with two out and Norichika Aoki due up.
Mets 4, Brewers 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 15 9:34 PM
- Rickie Weeks none-out, two-run Home Run (20) to left center scored Norichika Aoki. Ryan Braun due up.
Mets 4, Brewers 6 Bot 4, 0 OutsSep 15 8:59 PM
- Norichika Aoki walked. Runners on first and third with none out and Rickie Weeks due up.
Mets 4, Brewers 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsSep 15 8:52 PM
- Daniel Murphy double to left scored Ruben Tejada. Runner on second with two out and David Wright due up.
Mets 4, Brewers 1 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 15 8:35 PM
- Ruben Tejada single to right scored Andres Torres. Runner advances to second on the throw with two out and Daniel Murphy due up.
Mets 3, Brewers 1 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 15 8:34 PM
- Jenrry Mejia sacrifice bunt to pitcher scored Jordany Valdespin. On the play, Andres Torres advances to second. Runner on second with two out and Ruben Tejada due up.
Mets 2, Brewers 1 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 15 8:32 PM
- Ryan Braun double to left scored Rickie Weeks. Runner on second with one out and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Mets 1, Brewers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 15 7:33 PM
- Lucas Duda single to right scored Daniel Murphy. On the play, Ike Davis advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and Jordany Valdespin due up.
Mets 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 15 7:24 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 15 7:13 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21