Brewers blank free-falling PiratesSep 19, 2012 - 4:41 AM
Ryan Braun and Jonathan Lucroy also drove in a run each for the Brewers, who have won three straight.
Milwaukee still sits 2 1/2 games back of St. Louis for the final wild card spot in the National League as the Cardinals beat the Astros on Tuesday.
Yovani Gallardo (16-8) continued his winning ways as he pitched his 10th straight start without losing, winning eight of those games. On Tuesday, he gave up just two hits with four walks and six strikeouts in 6 2/3 innings.
"My command was off the first couple of innings," said Gallardo. "I kept leaving pitches over the plate, but I got away with it. After that, I settled down and got on track."
A.J. Burnett (15-8) dropped a fourth straight decision, giving up two runs on seven hits in six innings for the Pirates, who fell 3 1/2 games back of the wild card spot after losing for the ninth time in their past 11 games.
"I think he fought a lot early because he threw a bunch of pitches early," said Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle about Burnett. "Then he kept us in the ball game and kept us in the contest the whole time."
Milwaukee had a man on third with one out in the first as Aoki was hit by a pitch to start the game, stole second then moved to third on a wild pitch after Rickie Weeks struck out. Braun then walked and stole second, but Aramis Ramirez popped out and Lucroy struck out.
Andrew McCutchen hit into an inning-ending double play in the home half of the first and the Brewers took the lead in the second.
Travis Ishikawa was plunked to start the frame, Carlos Gomez followed with a single and Segura walked to load the bases. After Gallardo struck out, Aoki punched a single to center to score one. Burnett, though, limited the damage by striking out Weeks and got Braun to hit into a fielder's choice.
The Pirates loaded the bags in the second, but it was with two outs and Burnett grounded out to end the inning.
In the sixth, Milwaukee added to its lead when Lucroy led off with a single, moved to second on a Gomez bunt single then came home when Segura singled to center for a 2-0 lead.
The Brewers padded their lead with two more runs in the seventh on RBI singles from Braun and Lucroy for a 4-0 advantage.
Gallardo left the game with two outs in the seventh after he loaded the bases, but it was with two outs and Jim Henderson got pinch-hitter Michael McKenry to pop out.
Segura added another run-scoring single in the eighth while Aoki's sacrifice fly later in the inning gave Milwaukee a 6-0 lead.
Kameron Loe set the Pirates down in order in the eighth and Jose Veras pitched a scoreless ninth to close the game.
The Brewers have taken nine of 13 from the Pirates this season ... Gallardo moved to 9-2 in 15 games against the Pirates in his career ... Pittsburgh left seven men on base ... Milwaukee batted 5-for-18 with runners in scoring position and left 11 men on base.
- Rickie Weeks walked. Runner on first with two outs and Ryan Braun due up.
Brewers 6, Pirates 0 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 18 9:55 PM
- Jean Segura singled to left scored Carlos Gomez. On the play, Segura advances to second on Starling Marte's throwing error. Runner on second with none out and Jim Henderson due up.
Brewers 5, Pirates 0 Top 8, 0 OutsSep 18 9:51 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy stole second. Runner on second with two outs and Travis Ishikawa at the plate.
Brewers 4, Pirates 0 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 18 9:21 PM
- Aramis Ramirez flied out to center. On the play, Ryan Braun advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 3, Pirates 0 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 18 9:17 PM
- Jean Segura singled to center scored Jonathan Lucroy. On the play, Carlos Gomez advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Yovani Gallardo due up.
Brewers 2, Pirates 0 Top 6, 1 OutSep 18 8:57 PM
- Norichika Aoki singled to left scored Travis Ishikawa. On the play, Jean Segura advances to second and Carlos Gomez advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 1, Pirates 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 18 7:44 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 18 7:08 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21