Beltre helps Rangers down TwinsApr 14, 2012 - 10:30 PM
Yu Darvish made his first major league road start and the most impressive part about the outing was his ability to limit the damage. Texas' prized acquisition gave up nine hits, issued four walks and hit another batter yet allowed only one earned run in 5 2/3 innings.
Josh Hamilton clubbed a solo homer, doubled twice and scored three runs for the Rangers. Nelson Cruz and Brandon Snyder also had three hits and scored a run.
"Any win is huge," Snyder said. "One of the big things in this clubhouse is that nothing is taken for granted."
Denard Span collected three hits and knocked in a run for Minnesota, which finished 2-for-16 with runners in scoring position and left 15 men on base.
Nick Blackburn started for the Twins and surrendered two runs on seven hits before leaving in the sixth inning with a right posterior shoulder strain.
The Rangers got a second-inning sacrifice fly from Mike Napoli, but a fielding error by Texas third baseman Michael Young in the bottom of the frame enabled Danny Valencia to score the tying run.
Hamilton homered with one out in the third inning to put the visitors back on top.
The Twins produced only one run in the middle innings despite having a lot of traffic on the base paths.
They had a runner thrown out on a play at the plate to end the fourth, and Darvish escaped a bases-loaded jam in the fifth by striking out Ryan Doumit.
Minnesota managed to pull even on Span's two-out, run-scoring double in the sixth, and then loaded the bases again. Robbie Ross (1-0), though, bailed out the Japanese right-hander by retiring Justin Morneau on a pop up in foul territory.
"Try to see as many pitches as I could," Span said when asked about facing Darvish.
The Rangers broke the tie in the seventh. Jeff Gray replaced Brian Duensing (0-1) with runners on the corners and two outs and promptly gave up consecutive RBI singles to Beltre and Young.
Beltre added an RBI double in the ninth and later scored his 1,000th run on a throwing error by Minnesota shortstop Trevor Plouffe.
Erstwhile Minnesota closer Joe Nathan recorded the final three outs for the Rangers. Nathan pitched for the Twins from 2004-11 and is the club's all-time saves leader (260)...Ross picked up his first major league win in his second career game...Twins left fielder Josh Willingham went 2-for-3 and walked twice. He has hit safely in all eight games this season...Minnesota claimed outfielder Clete Thomas off waivers from the Detroit Tigers.
- TEXAS: 6
Apr 14 4:38 PM
- Michael Young reached first on Trevor Plouffe's throwing error scored Adrian Beltre. Runner on first with two outs and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 6, Twins 2 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 14 4:15 PM
- Adrian Beltre doubled to right scored Josh Hamilton. Runner on second with two outs and Michael Young due up.
Rangers 5, Twins 2 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 14 4:09 PM
- Michael Young singled to right scored Josh Hamilton. On the play, Adrian Beltre advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 4, Twins 2 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 14 3:26 PM
- Adrian Beltre singled to left scored Brandon Snyder. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Michael Young due up.
Rangers 3, Twins 2 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 14 3:25 PM
- Denard Span doubled to center scored Danny Valencia. Runner on second with two outs and Jamey Carroll due up.
Rangers 2, Twins 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 14 3:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 2, Twins 1 Top 3, 1 OutApr 14 1:52 PM
- Alexi Casilla reached first on Michael Young's fielding error scored Danny Valencia. On the play, Chris Parmelee advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Denard Span due up.
Rangers 1, Twins 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 14 1:46 PM
- Mike Napoli sacrifice fly out to left scored Nelson Cruz. None on with two outs and Brandon Snyder due up.
Rangers 1, Twins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 14 1:32 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 14 1:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22