Hamilton's blast helps Rangers sweep TwinsApr 15, 2012 - 10:51 PM
Mike Napoli also homered and Elvis Andrus added an RBI triple for the Rangers, who last swept a series of at least three games in Minnesota April 22-25, 1999.
Texas' Neftali Feliz was tagged for three runs on five hits in five-plus innings. The converted reliever struck out three and walked two in his second career start. Rookie Robbie Ross (2-0) tossed two innings to earn the win in relief for a second straight day.
"It was fun to get back [on the mound] and throw again. It was really a blessing," Ross said.
Clete Thomas hit a two-run homer in his Minnesota debut after being claimed off waivers from the Detroit Tigers on Saturday.
Liam Hendriks limited the Rangers to a run on seven hits over six innings and was in line for his first major league win before Glen Perkins (0-1) surrendered the home run to Hamilton.
Perkins issued a leadoff walk to Ian Kinsler, who scored on Andrus' triple to trim Texas' deficit to 3-2. Hamilton hammered the left-hander's next pitch to second-deck seats in right-center.
"We had them where we wanted them and I didn't get it done," Perkins said.
Mike Adams faced the minimum in the eighth for the Rangers and former Minnesota Joe Nathan earned his third save with a 1-2-3 ninth.
Napoli's one-out blast opened the scoring in the fifth, but Thomas responded with a two-out shot in the bottom of the inning.
The Twins extended their lead to 3-1 in the sixth when Denard Span led off with a triple and Jamey Carroll followed with a single.
Texas entered this series with a 1-9 record at Target Field...Michael Young went 3-for-4 with two doubles for the Rangers...Hendriks made his season debut after being scratched from his start last Sunday in Baltimore because of food poisoning.
- TEXAS: 4
Apr 15 5:02 PM
- Josh Hamilton none-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right center scored Elvis Andrus. Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 4, Twins 3 Top 8, 0 OutsApr 15 4:31 PM
- Elvis Andrus triple to right center scored Ian Kinsler with none out. Runner on third and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 2, Twins 3 Top 8, 0 OutsApr 15 4:30 PM
- Joe Mauer walked. Runners on first and second with none out and Justin Morneau due up.
Rangers 1, Twins 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 15 3:57 PM
- Clete Thomas two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right center scored Josh Willingham. Alexi Casilla due up.
Rangers 1, Twins 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 15 3:37 PM
- Mike Napoli one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Rangers 1, Twins 0 Top 5, 1 OutApr 15 3:23 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 15 2:13 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22