Sabathia, Stewart power Yankees over TwinsApr 18, 2012 - 4:29 AM
Sabathia (1-0), who gave up four hits and three runs, is undefeated in his last 10 regular season and postseason starts against the Twins (since Aug. 3, 2007), going 9-0 over the span.
Stewart highlighted a four-run third with the go-ahead two-run single. Andruw Jones belted a solo homer and Derek Jeter knocked in two runs as part of a 13- hit attack.
The Twins, who took the opener of this four-game set on Monday, got a homer from Josh Willingham.
Francisco Liriano (0-2) allowed seven hits and five runs over 2 1/3 innings and saw his ERA rise to 11.91.
"I just want him to relax, have a smile on his face and have some fun playing this game because he has great stuff," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said about Liriano.
Twins center fielder Denard Span and Gardenhire were ejected in the top of the third inning.
Willingham homered to center leading off the second inning, but the Yankees tied it in the bottom half when Brett Gardner's double to left bounced into the stands for a ground-rule hit, scoring Curtis Granderson. Robinson Cano grounded out with the bases full to end the inning.
In the third, Span took a called first strike on the inside corner on a slider from Sabathia. Alexi Casilla, who singled with one out, was safe on the ensuing snap throw from Stewart. Span then started to talk with home plate umpire Greg Gibson. As he stepped into the batter's box, Gibson apparently heard enough of Span and ejected him and then threw out Gardenhire, who arrived on the field to argue.
Casilla moved to second on a balk, and Clete Thomas, who took over the at-bat for Span, hit a double off the wall in left to give Minnesota a 2-1 lead. Jamey Carroll then blooped a single into right field for a two-run margin.
Sabathia settled in by retiring 13 in a row.
"I just think he started to locate better. I thought his sinker became more consistent," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "He just started to make great pitches."
The Yankees got five straight singles in the third to go in front. Eduardo Nunez beat out an infield hit to shortstop to plate Jones, and Granderson followed with a single to right, which resulted in the second error of the inning by right fielder Trevor Plouffe. Stewart then lined his two-run single to left field.
Matt Maloney relieved Liriano, but Jeter made it 5-3 with a sacrifice fly to right field.
Jones homered tight to the line in left with two outs in the fourth, and Jeter's line base hit to right-center plated Gardner in the fifth for a 7-3 margin.
Stewart added an RBI single in the seventh.
Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira was scratched from the lineup with flu- like symptoms...Willingham has hit safely in each of the Twins' 11 games this season. He's the first Twins player to record a hit in each of the first 11 games since Jacque Jones in 2002. Kirby Puckett owns the Twins record hitting safely in each of the team's first 15 games in 1994...Sabathia is 15-8 lifetime against the Twins.
- MINNESOTA: 3
NEW YORK: 8
Apr 17 10:07 PM
- Chris Stewart single to left scored Brett Gardner with one out. Runner on first with one out and Derek Jeter due up.
Twins 3, Yankees 8 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 17 9:35 PM
- Derek Jeter single to right center scored Brett Gardner with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Nick Swisher due up.
Twins 3, Yankees 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 17 9:02 PM
- Andruw Jones two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Curtis Granderson due up.
Twins 3, Yankees 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 17 8:45 PM
- Danny Valencia grounded out short to first. None on with two outs and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 3, Yankees 5 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 17 8:37 PM
- Chris Stewart single to left scored Curtis Granderson and Eduardo Nunez with one out. On the play, Brett Gardner advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Derek Jeter due up.
Twins 3, Yankees 4 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 17 8:28 PM
- Eduardo Nunez infield single to short scored Andruw Jones with one out. Runners on first and second with one out and Brett Gardner due up.
Twins 3, Yankees 2 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 17 8:23 PM
- Jamey Carroll single to right scored Clete Thomas with one out. Runner on first with one out and Joe Mauer due up.
Twins 3, Yankees 1 Top 3, 1 OutApr 17 8:09 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Clete Thomas double to left scored Alexi Casilla with one out. Runner on second with one out and Jamey Carroll due up.
Twins 2, Yankees 1 Top 3, 1 OutApr 17 8:06 PM
- Chris Stewart grounded out third to first. Runners on second and third with one out and Derek Jeter due up.
Twins 1, Yankees 1 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 17 7:47 PM
- Josh Willingham lead-off Home Run (5) to center. Ryan Doumit due up.
Twins 1, Yankees 0 Top 2, 0 OutsApr 17 7:30 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 17 7:08 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22