Mauer lifts Twins over MarinersMay 5, 2012 - 6:14 AM
Minnesota, which was no-hit by the Angels' Jered Weaver on Wednesday, trailed 2-0 entering the seventh before loading the bases with one out. Chris Parmelee then scored on a throwing error by reliever Tom Wilhelmsen (1-1), Alexi Casilla crossed the plate on a groundout and Mauer made it 3-2 with a base hit up the middle.
Carl Pavano (2-2) earned the win, allowing two runs on eight hits without issuing a walk over six innings. Matt Capps recorded his fifth save of the season for the Twins, who had been shut out in their previous two games.
"We took advantage of one mistake that they made which is nice to do," said Pavano. "It's a break that went our way that we haven't seen in a while. This could get the ball rolling. We played a good baseball game today."
Kyle Seager and Mike Carp both had an RBI double in the fifth inning for Seattle, which has lost seven straight.
Seattle starter Jason Vargas retired Danny Valencia to begin the seventh before Parmelee doubled to deep center. Wilhelmsen entered, promptly walked Casilla and Trevor Plouffe, then barehanded Denard Span's high chopper but threw wide to second base, allowing Parmelee to score.
"I just had a brain fart, and a pretty important one that cost the ball game," said Wilhelmsen.
Span was forced out on Jamey Carroll's subsequent grounder, which scored Casilla. Mauer's grounder was slowed by shortstop Brendan Ryan in shallow center, but Plouffe crossed the plate with the decisive run.
Pavano earned his first win since May 29, 2010...Vargas was charged with one run on four hits in 6 1/3 innings...Twins manager Ron Gardenhire traveled to Minneapolis after Wednesday's game to attend daughter's graduation. He will be back with the club on Monday.
- MINNESOTA: 3
May 5 12:53 AM
- Joe Mauer infield single to short scored Trevor Plouffe with two outs. On the play, Jamey Carroll advances to second. Runners on first and second and Josh Willingham due up.
Twins 3, Mariners 2 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 5 12:07 AM
- Jamey Carroll grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short, scoring Alexi Casilla with two outs. Denard Span out at second, Trevor Plouffe advances to third. Runners on first and third and Joe Mauer due up.
Twins 2, Mariners 2 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 5 12:02 AM
- Denard Span grounded into a fielder's choice to pitcher, scoring Chris Parmelee with one out. On the play, Trevor Plouffe advances to second on Tom Wilhelmsen's throwing error, Alexi Casilla advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Jamey Carroll due up.
Twins 1, Mariners 2 Top 7, 1 OutMay 5 12:00 AM
- Mike Carp double to right scored Kyle Seager with one out. Runner on second and Michael Saunders due up.
Twins 0, Mariners 2 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 4 11:19 PM
- Kyle Seager double to center scored Jesus Montero with none out. Runner on second and Justin Smoak due up.
Twins 0, Mariners 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 4 11:14 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 4 10:10 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21