Escobar, Blue Jays roll past TwinsMay 11, 2012 - 3:42 AM
Brett Lawrie and Edwin Encarnacion each drove in two runs for the Blue Jays, who have won their past two. Henderson Alvarez (3-2) gave up just two runs -- one earned -- on seven hits with three walks and two strikeouts over seven innings.
"I felt good out there tonight and the bullpen really backed me up," said Alvarez. "Those guys have been really solid for us lately and that is always big."
Josh Willingham hit a solo home run in the loss for the Twins, who have dropped five of six. Jason Marquis (2-2) gave up six runs -- five earned -- on seven hits in just four innings of work.
"I thought we played aggressive out there tonight," said Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire. "We just couldn't get hits when we needed them the most."
Toronto got on board in the first as an Eric Thames sacrifice fly was followed by an RBI single from Lawrie, which scored Escobar for a 2-0 lead.
The Blue Jays plated three more in the third. Encarnacion brought home Escobar on a fielder's choice while Lawrie hit an RBI single two batters later. Colby Rasmus followed with an RBI double for a 5-0 lead.
Minnesota got one back in the third. With one out, Alexi Casilla singled and Denard Span followed with a walk. Brian Dozier then hit a grounder to short and the Jays got the force out at second, but Kelly Johnson's throw to first was off the mark and Casilla scored to make it a 5-1 game.
Toronto, though, got it back in the fourth thanks to an RBI single from Encarnacion to score Escobar.
Willingham's solo home run in the sixth, his seventh of the season, accounted for the final score.
Toronto took five of six from Minnesota last season...Minnesota hit into three double plays in the game...Kyle Drabek pitches for Toronto on Friday while Nick Blackburn will take the mound for Minnesota...The Blue Jays signed outfielder Vladimir Guerrero to a minor league contract on Thursday.
- TORONTO: 6
May 10 10:56 PM
- Josh Willingham two-out, solo Home Run (7) to left. Ryan Doumit due up.
Blue Jays 6, Twins 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 10 10:01 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion single to pitcher scored Yunel Escobar with two out. On the play, Jose Bautista advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Eric Thames due up.
Blue Jays 6, Twins 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 10 9:28 PM
- Brian Dozier reached first on a fielder's choice to short and advanced to second on Kelly Johnson's throwing error that scored Alexi Casilla with two out. On the play, Denard Span out at second. Runner on second and Joe Mauer due up.
Blue Jays 5, Twins 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 10 9:17 PM
- Colby Rasmus double to left scored Brett Lawrie with two out. Runner on second and Adam Lind due up.
Blue Jays 5, Twins 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 10 9:00 PM
- Brett Lawrie single to center scored Edwin Encarnacion with two out. Runner on first and Colby Rasmus due up.
Blue Jays 4, Twins 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 10 8:57 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion reached first on a fielder's choice, third to second that scored Yunel Escobar with one out. On the play, Jose Bautista out at second. Runner on first and Eric Thames due up.
Blue Jays 3, Twins 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 10 8:54 PM
- Brett Lawrie single to left scored Yunel Escobar with two out. On the play, Edwin Encarnacion advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Colby Rasmus due up.
Blue Jays 2, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 10 8:22 PM
- Eric Thames sacrifice fly out to left scored Kelly Johnson with two out. Runners on first and second and Brett Lawrie due up.
Blue Jays 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 10 8:21 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 10 8:11 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Blue Jays-Twins Preview May 21
- Nunez homer caps late rally as Twins defeat Blue Jays May 21