Twins edge Blue JaysMay 12, 2012 - 5:51 AM
Ryan Doumit drove in two runs while Denard Span and Joe Mauer each scored twice for the Twins, who had dropped five of six coming into the game. Nick Blackburn (1-4) gave up five runs on six hits with three walks and three strikeouts over five-plus innings of work.
"It was unbelievable out there tonight," said Mastroianni, who had his first hit and RBI in the game. "Getting that hit was big and it was even more special that it was an important one that helped us win."
Jose Bautista hit two home runs, Eric Thames added a two-run home run and Edwin Encarnacion donated a solo shot for the Blue Jays, who had won their previous two. Kyle Drabek (2-4) gave up three runs on four hits over 4 1/3 innings to take the loss.
"He didn't have consistent command tonight, especially his first two innings," said Toronto manager John Farrell about Drabek. "I thought we did some good things offensively and gave ourselves every opportunity to win this game. We never roll over and we never pack it in."
Mastroianni singled home pinch-runner Erik Komatsu in the seventh for a 7-5 lead, and that run proved fortunate as Encarnacion hit a solo home run in the eighth, his 11th of the year.
The Blue Jays put their next two men on base, but Colby Rasmus hit into a double play and Ben Francisco flied out to end the inning.
Matt Capps allowed a one-out single in the ninth to Kelly Johnson, who promptly stole second base. A groundout from Yunel Escobar put the tying run 90 feet from the plate, but Bautista popped out as Capps picked up his sixth save of the season.
Bautista hit a solo home run in the first, but Doumit smacked a two-run single in the home portion of the first to give Minnesota a 2-1 lead.
Toronto tied the game in the fourth off a Rasmus RBI single, but he was tagged out at second on the play to end the inning.
Minnesota took the lead back in the fifth. A Josh Willingham double scored one run and Chris Parmelee later walked with the bases loaded. Mastroianni then hit a two-run single for a 6-2 lead.
Bautista led off the sixth with his seventh homer of the year and, after Encarnacion walked, Thames drove a pitch over the wall in center to make it a one-run game.
The game was delayed for over two hours due to rain...Toronto had won 11 of 13 against Minnesota coming into the game...Blackburn improved to 2-1 in five career starts against the Blue Jays...Drabek fell to 1-1 in two starts against the Twins...Minnesota left eight men on base and batted 4-for-15 with runners in scoring position. Toronto went 1-for-7 with RISP and stranded six.
- TORONTO: 6
May 12 1:18 AM
- Edwin Encarnacion lead-off Home Run (11) to left center. Eric Thames due up.
Blue Jays 6, Twins 7 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 12 12:54 AM
- Darin Mastroianni singled to left scored Pinch-runner Erik Komatsu. Runner on second with two outs as Mastroianni advanced to second on the throw home and Jamey Carroll due up.
Blue Jays 5, Twins 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 12 12:49 AM
- Alex Burnett enters the game for the Twins.
Blue Jays 5, Twins 6 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 12 12:10 AM
- Jose Bautista lead off Home Run 2 (7) to left. Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 3, Twins 6 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 12 12:05 AM
- Darin Mastroianni singled to center scored Josh Willingham and Ryan Doumit. On the play, Chris Parmelee advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jamey Carroll due up.
Blue Jays 2, Twins 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 12 12:00 AM
- Chris Parmelee walked Joe Mauer scored on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Darin Mastroianni due up.
Blue Jays 2, Twins 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 11 11:59 PM
- Josh Willingham doubled to right scored Denard Span. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Ryan Doumit due up.
Blue Jays 2, Twins 3 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 11 11:53 PM
- Colby Rasmus singled to right scored Eric Thames. On the play, Colby Rasmus out at second on the throw, right to short to first to end the inning.
Blue Jays 2, Twins 2 Mid 4May 11 11:22 PM
- Ryan Doumit singled to center scored Denard Span and Joe Mauer. On the play, Josh Willingham advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Blue Jays 1, Twins 2 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 11 10:22 PM
- Jose Bautista two-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 11 10:05 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 11 10:02 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Blue Jays-Twins Preview May 21
- Nunez homer caps late rally as Twins defeat Blue Jays May 21