Dozier, Doumit help Twins top Blue JaysMay 13, 2012 - 9:55 PM
Scott Diamond (2-0) pitched seven scoring frames, allowing five hits while walking none and fanning four for Minnesota , which split the set.
Matt Capps worked around a one-out hit in the ninth to pick up his seventh save.
Ricky Romero (4-1) suffered his first loss of the year, allowing four runs on nine hits and five walks over 5 1/3 innings. Edwin Encarnacion tallied three hits in the setback.
"We had a couple of opportunities when we hit the ball hard," said Toronto manager John Farrell, adding, "I like the way we swung the bats."
Dozier opened the scoring with a two-out blast to left in the third.
A three-run fifth inning gave Minnesota some breathing room. A pair of singles and a walk loaded the bases with none out, and Josh Willingham worked a walk to plate Denard Span.
Doumit then brought home Dozier and Joe Mauer with a base hit.
"I'm not really looking for a particular pitch [with men on base]," said Doumit. "Just looking for something up that I can drive."
But the Twins got no more, and Toronto got to reliever Jared Burton in the eighth.
Three straight singles to begin the inning put the Jays on the board, as Yunel Escobar scored Rajai Davis. Burton got Jose Bautista to foul out, but was pulled when Encarnacion singled to again load the bases.
Pinch-hitter Eric Thames hit an RBI groundout off Glen Perkins, and Escobar touched home on a wild pitch.
Brett Lawrie ended the inning with a groundout, though, and Capps got two foul outs and a strikeout in the ninth.
Diamond has not allowed a run over 14 innings this season...Romero did not record a strikeout...The teams combined to go 3-for-21 with runners in scoring position and left 18 men on base.
- TORONTO: 3
May 13 5:14 PM
- Yunel Escobar scored on a Glen Perkins wild pitch with two out. On the play, Edwin Encarnacion advances to third. Runner on third and Brett Lawrie at the plate.
Blue Jays 3, Twins 4 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 13 4:56 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Eric Thames ground out to first scored Kelly Johnson with two out. On the play, Edwin Encarnacion advances to second and Yunel Escobar advances to third. Runners on second and third with Brett Lawrie due up.
Blue Jays 2, Twins 4 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 13 4:55 PM
- Yunel Escobar single to center scored Rajai Davis with none out. On the play, Kelly Johnson advances to second. Runners on first and second with Jose Bautista due up.
Blue Jays 1, Twins 4 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 13 4:46 PM
- Ryan Doumit single to center scored Brian Dozier and Joe Mauer with none out. On the play, Josh Willingham advances to second. Runners on first and second with Trevor Plouffe due up.
Blue Jays 0, Twins 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 13 3:50 PM
- Brian Dozier two-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Joe Mauer due up.
Blue Jays 0, Twins 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 13 3:02 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
May 13 2:15 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Blue Jays-Twins Preview May 21
- Nunez homer caps late rally as Twins defeat Blue Jays May 21