Cespedes, A's sweep TwinsJul 15, 2012 - 10:30 PM
Jonny Gomes was 3-for-4 with a two-run home run and three runs scored while Chris Carter and Seth Smith each hit a solo home run for the Athletics, who have won four straight and nine of 10.
"This is some good momentum for us and hopefully we can carry it home with us," said Gomes. "We've got some guys swinging pretty good lately and with the pitching we have we can be a dangerous team."
Jarrod Parker (6-4) gave up four runs on nine hits with four strikeouts over six innings to pick up his fourth win in the past six starts.
Ryan Doumit, Brian Dozier and Alexi Casilla all drove in a run for the Twins, who have lost their past five games. Brian Duensing (1-6) lasted just two innings in the start as he was torched for six runs on seven hits to drop his fourth straight start.
"I got shelled today and that's about it," said Duensing. "I gave up homer after homer and didn't make any good pitches. It was a bad day for me and it ended pretty quickly."
Oakland got to Duensing early as the team plated two runs in the first. Jemile Weeks singled to start the game and Gomes followed with a single. Cespedes later singled home the first run and a bases loaded walk to Derek Norris made it a 2-0 game.
The Twins got one back in the bottom of the first when Darin Mastroianni scored thanks to a bad throw from Parker, but the A's scored four more in the second.
After Weeks singled, Gomes launched his 10th home run of the season. After Josh Reddick grounded out, Cespedes homered and Carter followed with a shot to right-center for a 6-1 lead.
A sacrifice fly from Casilla in the second scored Doumit to make it a 6-2 game.
In the sixth, Oakland scored three more runs. Smith got things started with a shot over the right field wall. Later in the frame, Cespedes singled home Weeks and Carter scored on a wild pitch for a 9-4 lead.
Doumit doubled home Justin Morneau and Dozier's run-scoring groundout in the sixth made it a 9-4 contest, but Minnesota didn't manage another baserunner until Casilla singled with two outs in the ninth.
The A's are three games over .500 for the first time since June 3, 2010...It was the fourth sweep of the season for the A's...The Twins have now been swept seven times this season...Minnesota third baseman Trevor Plouffe went 1-for-4 to extend his career-high hitting streak to 13 games...It was the second straight game that the A's hit four home runs...Oakland returns home to face Texas for two games starting on Tuesday...The Twins host Baltimore for a four- game set beginning on Monday...Each team has won three games in the season series.
- OAKLAND: 9
Jul 15 5:26 PM
- Brian Dozier grounded out second to first scored Trevor Plouffe. On the play, Ryan Doumit advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Alexi Casilla due up.
Athletics 9, Twins 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 15 4:30 PM
- Ryan Doumit doubled to right scored Justin Morneau. On the play, Trevor Plouffe advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Brian Dozier due up.
Athletics 9, Twins 3 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 15 4:27 PM
- Chris Carter advances to second on a wild pitch. Yoenis Cespedes advances to third on a wild pitch. Jonny Gomes scored on a wild pitch. Runners on second and third with two outs and Brandon Inge at the plate.
Athletics 9, Twins 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 15 4:18 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes singled to center scored Jemile Weeks. On the play, Jonny Gomes advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Chris Carter due up.
Athletics 8, Twins 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 15 4:09 PM
- Seth Smith lead-off Home Run (10) to right. Brandon Hicks due up.
Athletics 7, Twins 2 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 15 3:59 PM
- Alexi Casilla sacrifice fly out to center scored Ryan Doumit. On the play, Brian Dozier advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Ben Revere due up.
Athletics 6, Twins 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 15 3:06 PM
- Chris Carter two-out, solo Home Run (5) to right center. Brandon Inge due up.
Athletics 6, Twins 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 15 2:59 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes two-out, solo Home Run (11) to center. Chris Carter due up.
Athletics 5, Twins 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 15 2:58 PM
- Jonny Gomes one-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left scored Jemile Weeks. Josh Reddick due up.
Athletics 4, Twins 1 Top 2, 1 OutJul 15 2:53 PM
- Josh Willingham reached first on Jarrod Parker's throwing error, scored Darin Mastroianni. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Justin Morneau due up.
Athletics 2, Twins 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 15 2:46 PM
- Derek Norris walked, Jonny Gomes scored on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Seth Smith due up.
Athletics 2, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 15 2:31 PM
- Chris Carter walked. Bases loaded with one out and Brandon Inge due up.
Athletics 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 15 2:25 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 15 2:14 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22