Milone pitches A's over TwinsAug 23, 2012 - 1:14 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Tommy Milone got off the schneid and helped the Oakland Athletics win a rubber match against the Minnesota Twins, 5-1.
Milone (10-9), who was 0-3 with a 7.50 earned run average over his last four starts, held the Twins to one run on two hits and a walk in eight innings for the A's.
"You know exactly what he's going to do," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "It's just if you can stay back on the changeup, and back on the breaking ball and square it up. He keeps you off speed enough. He's got a nice fastball, he can back-door some pitches and he locates really, really well."
Coco Crisp picked up three hits, including a home run, drove in a pair of runs and scored three times for Oakland, which has won six of its last seven games.
Liam Hendriks (0-6) remained winless after 13 major league starts. Oakland tagged the right-handed Aussie for four runs on six hits and three walks in five innings.
"He's gotta be a little bit better than that with the strike zone and work ahead a little better," Gardenhire said. "He's behind a lot of hitters. But, like I said, he competed in some big situations and got out of some jams he created for himself. There's a step in the right direction."
Prior to the game, pitcher Bartolo Colon was suspended 50 games by major league baseball for testing positive for testosterone.
"We have depth so it's one of those things where, obvious Bartolo is going to be missed and obviously he's a great pitcher, but we move on from now," Milone said. "You go out there and keep throwing and keep hitting and doing what we do best."
Oakland jumped ahead in the first inning. Crisp worked a leadoff walk, moved to second on a wild pitch, third on a fly out, and scored on a Josh Reddick base hit to right field.
Minnesota picked up its only two hits to begin the second inning. Ryan Doumit singled and moved to third when Matt Carson doubled. After Trevor Plouffe lined out, Drew Butera brought Doumit home with a ground out.
The A's regained the lead in the third. Cliff Pennington led off with a double and Crisp dropped a single into right field to put runners on the corners with no outs. After Stephen Drew walked to load the bases and Reddick popped out, Yoenis Cespedes grounded a single through the left side to score two and put Oakland up, 3-1.
After the Twins grounded into a double play with a runner on third to end the top of the fourth, the A's tacked on another run in the bottom half of the frame. Josh Donaldson doubled and scored when Crisp ripped a double off the right-field fence.
Crisp capped the scoring with a solo homer in the seventh inning to open up a 5-1 lead.
Ryan Cook took over for Milone, who did not allow a hit or a walk past the third inning, in the ninth and struck out the side to seal the win.
Minnesota has lost two straight, seven of eight and 11 of its last 13 games...Twins outfielder Josh Willingham did not reach base for the first time this season against Oakland (nine games) ... The Twins went 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position and stranded six ... Oakland went 4-for-12 with runners in scoring position and left six on base.
- MINNESOTA: 1
Aug 22 6:12 PM
- Coco Crisp one-out, solo Home Run (8) to left center. Stephen Drew due up.
Twins 1, Athletics 5 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 22 5:39 PM
- Coco Crisp doubled to right scored Josh Donaldson. Runner on second with two outs and Stephen Drew due up.
Twins 1, Athletics 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 22 4:55 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes singled to left scored Cliff Pennington and Coco Crisp. On the play, Stephen Drew advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Chris Carter due up.
Twins 1, Athletics 3 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 22 4:35 PM
- Drew Butera grounded out short to first scored Ryan Doumit. Runner on second with two outs and Pedro Florimon Jr. due up.
Twins 1, Athletics 1 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 22 4:08 PM
- Josh Reddick singled to right scored Coco Crisp. Runner on first with one out and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Twins 0, Athletics 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 22 3:53 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 22 3:38 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22