Twins salvage finale in ArlingtonAug 27, 2012 - 3:00 AM
Josh Willingham ripped an RBI double, while Trevor Plouffe and Joe Mauer added RBI base hits for the Twins, who snapped a five-game losing streak. Justin Morneau and Pedro Florimon Jr. each contributed an RBI in the victory.
"We can score some runs," Gardenhire said. "We just need an opportunity to stay in games."
Cole De Vries (3-5) battled through a one-hour, 26 minute first-inning rain delay and lasted five solid innings to win for the first time since June 30. The righty allowed just two runs -- one earned -- on three hits with five strikeouts and no walks. Glen Perkins worked a perfect ninth to pick up his eighth save of the season.
Josh Hamilton cracked a two-run single and a two-run home run, while Nelson Cruz added a solo shot for the Rangers, who had their four-game winning streak halted.
Scott Feldman (6-10) was knocked around for six runs -- five earned -- on 10 hits and a walk with four strikeouts over 5 2/3 innings.
"I made good pitches for the most part, they laid some nice bunts down and had their fast guys on base the whole time," Feldman said.
The Twins opened the scoring in their first at-bat via an RBI double by Willingham, but when the Rangers stepped to the plate in the home portion of the inning following the rain delay, they quickly took the lead.
Ian Kinsler and Mitch Moreland reached with consecutive singles to start the inning and moved up one base after a passed ball charged to Twins catcher Drew Butera. Hamilton then stroked a single into right to score both runners.
The Twins tied the game in the second on an RBI groundout by Florimon, and then snagged the lead in the third courtesy of a sacrifice fly by Morneau to make it 3-2.
Three consecutive singles by Denard Span, Revere and Mauer in the fifth extended the Minnesota lead to 4-2, and Plouffe knocked home Revere later in the frame to widen the lead to three.
Moreland began the Rangers' sixth with a single and scored when Hamilton squared up a fastball from Jeff Gray and sent it over the wall in center field. Cruz belted a solo shot two batters later to pull Texas within 6-5.
Rangers center fielder Craig Gentry made a spectacular leaping catch in the top of the ninth to rob Mauer of a two-run homer keeping it a one-run game, but the defending AL champs were unable to mount a rally against Perkins.
Prior to Sunday's game, the Rangers activated pitcher Koji Uehara from the 15- day disabled list and sent pitcher Tanner Scheppers to Triple-A Round Rock. Uehara had been on the DL since June 15 due to a latissimus dorsi muscle strain ... With the win, the Twins avoided matching their longest losing streak of the season ... Minnesota finished 3-for-13 with runners in scoring position and left seven on base, while the Rangers went 1-for-3 with RISP and stranded three.
- MINNESOTA: 6
Aug 26 7:44 PM
- Nelson Cruz one-out, solo Home Run (20) to right center. David Murphy due up.
Twins 6, Rangers 5 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 26 6:48 PM
- Josh Hamilton none-out, two-run Home Run (35) to center scored Mitch Moreland. Adrian Beltre due up.
Twins 6, Rangers 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 26 6:45 PM
- Ben Revere tripled to right scoring Denard Span with two out. Runner on third and Joe Mauer due up.
Twins 6, Rangers 2 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 26 6:36 PM
- Craig Gentry struck out swinging. None on with one out and Luis Hernandez due up.
Twins 5, Rangers 2 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 26 6:24 PM
- Joe Mauer singled to right scoring Denard Span with none out. On the play, Ben Revere advances to second. Runners on first and second and Josh Willingham due up.
Twins 4, Rangers 2 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 26 6:06 PM
- Justin Morneau sacrifice fly out to left scored Ben Revere with two out. Runner on first and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 3, Rangers 2 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 26 5:39 PM
- Pedro Florimon Jr. grounded out second to first scoring Jamey Carroll with two out. On the play, Drew Butera advances to second. Runner on second and Denard Span due up.
Twins 2, Rangers 2 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 26 5:14 PM
- Josh Hamilton singled to right scoring Ian Kinsler and Mitch Moreland with none out. Runner on first and Adrian Beltre due up.
Twins 1, Rangers 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 26 4:58 PM
- Josh Willingham doubled to left scoring Ben Revere with two out. Runner on second and Justin Morneau due up.
Twins 1, Rangers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 26 3:18 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 26 3:10 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22