Twins hammer MarinersAug 30, 2012 - 4:05 AM
Josh Willingham hit a solo home run and drove in two while Joe Mauer went 3- for-5 with two RBI and a run scored for the Twins, who came into the game having lost seven of their last eight.
Samuel Deduno (5-2) benefited from the run support and pitched well, giving up just two hits while striking out nine over seven innings.
"It was huge having a night like this," said Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire. "I'm glad we were able to get the bats swinging tonight and now we can build on this and get some things going."
Jason Vargas (13-9) gave up six runs -- five earned -- on eight hits with two walks and five strikeouts over 4 2/3 innings for the Mariners, who have lost four of their last six.
"You know, sometimes you run into a team that will swing the bats really well and that's what happened tonight," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge. "We just couldn't get anything going on the mound or at the plate."
Minnesota scored all the runs it needed in the third inning. Plouffe and Pedro Florimon Jr. walked to start the frame and Jamey Carroll later singled to load the bases. Mauer followed with a two-run single and Justin Morneau scored one more with a single for a 3-0 lead.
Plouffe hit a two-run homer in the fourth while Willingham led off the fifth with his 32nd blast of the season for a 6-0 advantage.
Willingham's sac fly and a two-run double from Plouffe in the seventh made it a 9-0 game and Morneau added a sac fly in the eighth to extend the lead to double-digits.
After giving up a one-out single to Trayvon Robinson in the first, Deduno retired the next 18 batters before Kyle Seager singled with one out in the seventh.
Tyler Robertson and Anthony Swarzak each pitched a perfect inning to cap the shutout.
Seattle had won seven straight against Minnesota. The season series stands at 7-2 in Seattle's favor ... Minnesota hit 7-for-16 with runners in scoring position, but did strand 10 ... Vargas fell to 2-2 in eight career games versus Minnesota...Minnesota pitcher Scott Diamond dropped the appeal of his six-game suspension and began serving it on Wednesday.
- SEATTLE: 0
Aug 29 11:03 PM
- Justin Morneau sacrifice fly to left scored Jamey Carroll with one out. Runners on first and second and Ryan Doumit due up.
Mariners 0, Twins 10 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 29 10:49 PM
- Trevor Plouffe doubled to left scored Justin Morneau and Chris Parmelee with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Pedro Florimon Jr. due up.
Mariners 0, Twins 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 29 10:27 PM
- Josh Willingham sacrifice fly to right scored Joe Mauer with one out. None on with one out and Justin Morneau due up.
Mariners 0, Twins 7 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 29 10:20 PM
- Josh Willingham lead-off Home Run (32) to left. Justin Morneau due up.
Mariners 0, Twins 6 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 29 9:39 PM
- Trevor Plouffe none-out, two-run Home Run (20) to left scored Chris Parmelee. Pedro Florimon Jr. due up.
Mariners 0, Twins 5 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 29 9:21 PM
- Justin Morneau singled to left scored Jamey Carroll with two out. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Ryan Doumit due up.
Mariners 0, Twins 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 29 9:07 PM
- Joe Mauer singled to left scoring Trevor Plouffe and Pedro Florimon Jr with one out. Runners on first and second with one out and Josh Willingham due up.
Mariners 0, Twins 2 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 29 9:03 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 29 8:13 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21