Scott helps Rays top YankeesApr 8, 2012 - 5:42 AM
Matt Joyce hit a solo homer and knocked in three runs for the Rays, who rallied past New York, 7-6, in the opener on Friday. Desmond Jennings and Carlos Pena each added an RBI and run scored.
David Price (1-0) gave up two runs on five hits in 6 1/3 innings to pick up the win. Price, who also fanned five and walked four, went 12-13 with a 3.49 ERA last season.
"Our lineup looks very solid right now," Price said. "It's fun to watch and hopefully we can continue to do this."
Nick Swisher hit a three-run homer in the ninth for the Yankees. Andruw Jones, Eduardo Nunez and Raul Ibanez added an RBI apiece.
Hiroki Kuroda (0-1) allowed six runs -- four earned -- on eight hits over 5 2/3 frames in his Yankees debut. The Japanese right-hander went 13-16 with a 3.07 ERA for the Dodgers last year.
"He gave up four [earned] runs in six innings and that's giving your club a chance to win," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said.
Down by six, New York made things interesting in the ninth. Josh Lueke, who pitched a scoreless eighth, gave up a leadoff triple to Curtis Granderson. Ibanez came on as a pinch-hitter and lofted a sacrifice fly to center. After Russell Martin walked and pinch-hitter Eric Chavez singled, Joel Peralta came in from the bullpen.
Peralta got Derek Jeter swinging, but Swisher followed with a three-run blast to right. Jake McGee then took over on the mound and walked Robinson Cano. Fernando Rodney was called upon and he got Alex Rodriguez to ground out.
The Rays put four runs on the board over the first three frames.
In the bottom of the first inning, Jennings reached base on shortstop Nunez's fielding error. Following two outs, Joyce and Ben Zobrist walked to load the bases. Scott then recorded his first hit in a Tampa Bay uniform, a two-run single up the middle.
Pena's RBI single in the second and Joyce's solo homer to right during the Rays' next at-bat made it 4-0.
New York finally got on the board in the fourth. Granderson hit a two- out single, moved to second on a wild pitch and scored on Jones' single to left. With Martin at the plate, catcher Jose Lobaton tried to pick off Jones at first. Pena was not ready for the errant throw and Jones moved to third. Martin then walked to put runners on the corners and Nunez followed with an RBI single to left-center field, cutting the gap to 4-2.
But the Rays got both runs back in the sixth. Zobrist led off with a double and scored on Scott's double to right. Reid Brignac walked with two outs and Jennings added an RBI single to right.
Tampa Bay tacked on two more runs in the seventh. After Clay Rapada walked Pena, Longoria seemed to hit a homer over the wall in right. Upon further review, it was determined a fan reached over the wall. Longoria was awarded a double and Joyce followed with two-run single to left.
Granderson and Jeter each had two hits for the Yankees, who went 3-for-8 with runners in scoring position...Rodney picked up his first save as a member of the Rays...Tampa Bay went 5-for-14 with RISP...Rapada gave up two runs on two hits in his Yankees debut.
- NEW YORK: 6
TAMPA BAY: 8
Apr 7 10:33 PM
- Nick Swisher two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Russell Martin and Eric Chavez. Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 6, Rays 8 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 7 10:23 PM
- Russell Martin walked. Runner on first with one out and Eduardo Nunez due up.
Yankees 3, Rays 8 Top 9, 1 OutApr 7 10:14 PM
- Matt Joyce singled to left scoring Carlos Pena and Evan Longoria with none out. Runner on first and Ben Zobrist due up.
Yankees 2, Rays 8 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 7 9:36 PM
- Desmond Jennings singled to right scoring Luke Scott with two out. On the play, Reid Brignac advances to third. Runners on first and third and Carlos Pena due up.
Yankees 2, Rays 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 7 9:13 PM
- Luke Scott doubled to right scoring Ben Zobrist with none out. Runner on second and Jeff Keppinger due up.
Yankees 2, Rays 5 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 7 9:02 PM
- Eduardo Nunez singled to center scoring Andruw Jones with two out. On the play, Russell Martin advances to third. Runners on first and third and Derek Jeter due up.
Yankees 2, Rays 4 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 7 8:30 PM
- Andruw Jones singled to left scoring Curtis Granderson with two out. Runner on first and Russell Martin due up.
Yankees 1, Rays 4 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 7 8:24 PM
- Matt Joyce lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Ben Zobrist due up.
Yankees 0, Rays 4 Bot 3, 0 OutsApr 7 8:10 PM
- Carlos Pena singled to right scoring Jose Lobaton with two out. Runner on first and Evan Longoria due up.
Yankees 0, Rays 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 7 8:00 PM
- Luke Scott singled to center scoring Desmond Jennings and Matt Joyce with two out. On the play, Ben Zobrist advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jeff Keppinger due up.
Yankees 0, Rays 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 7 7:42 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 7 7:11 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21