Jeter, Yankees down RangersApr 24, 2012 - 5:18 AM New York Yankees downed the Texas Rangers, 7-4, in the first of three games at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.
Alex Rodriguez added a three-run home run and Curtis Granderson knocked in a pair of runs for the Yankees, who earned their fourth straight win.
CC Sabathia (2-0) allowed four runs on seven hits and a walk while striking out eight through eight innings for the win. Mariano Rivera closed the door in the ninth for his fourth save of the year.
"I thought his command was much better tonight," said New York manager Joe Girardi about Sabathia. "I thought his slider and changeup were good. He did great mixing up his pitches."
Derek Holland (2-1) gave up seven runs on nine hits and four walks in six innings to suffer the loss.
"I didn't do a good job of attacking the zone right away," said Holland. A couple of pitches here and there weren't where they needed to be and they came back and got me."
Craig Gentry had two RBI as Texas lost for the second time in three games.
The Yankees loaded the bases with one out in the first inning with an infield single by Jeter, a base hit by Robinson Cano and a walk by Rodriguez.
Mark Teixeira then went down swinging, but Granderson blooped a single into shallow center field to plate Jeter and Cano, giving New York an early two-run advantage.
The Rangers, though, got a run back in the bottom of the frame when Ian Kinsler led off with a single and moved to third on Elvis Andrus' base hit to right before crossing the plate when Josh Hamilton grounded into a double play.
After Texas failed to capitalize on a Nelson Cruz two-out double in the fourth inning, the Yankees added to their lead in the fifth when Chris Stewart walked to lead off the inning and then advanced to second when Mike Napoli missed a Holland pick-off throw to first.
Stewart moved to third on a Jeter base hit to left and came home on Nick Swisher's sacrifice fly to deep center field. Cano followed with a single to right before Rodriguez hammered a three-run homer over the left-center field wall to hand New York a 6-1 cushion.
Back-to-back doubles by Stewart and Jeter in the sixth increased the Yankees' margin.
The Rangers answered with a Hamilton solo shot into the bleachers in right- center field in the home sixth and a two-run double down the first-base line by Gentry in the seventh inning to close the gap to 7-4.
But Sabathia retired Kinsler and Andrus on consecutive ground outs to strand Gentry at second and needed just five pitches in a 1-2-3 eighth before Rivera tossed a perfect ninth inning to seal the win for the Yankees.
Prior to the game, Texas had a ceremony honoring catcher Ivan Rodriguez, who announced his retirement earlier Monday after 21 big league seasons. Rodriguez played with the Rangers from 1991-2002 and also at the end of the 2009 season...The Yankees have now hit a home run in eight straight games and in 12 of their last 13...Jeter increased his hit streak to 13 games...New York improved to 6-0 when scoring first in a game this season...Holland fell to 0-5 in six career starts against the Yankees.
- NEW YORK: 7
Apr 23 9:58 PM
- Ian Kinsler grounded out short to first. Runner on second with two outs and Elvis Andrus due up.
Yankees 7, Rangers 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 23 9:26 PM
- Josh Hamilton one-out, solo Home Run (8) to right center. Michael Young due up.
Yankees 7, Rangers 2 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 23 9:00 PM
- Derek Jeter double to right scored Chris Stewart with one out. Runner on second with one out and Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 7, Rangers 1 Top 6, 1 OutApr 23 8:49 PM
- Alex Rodriguez one-out, three-run Home Run (3) to left center scored Derek Jeter and Robinson Cano. Mark Teixeira due up.
Yankees 6, Rangers 1 Top 5, 1 OutApr 23 8:31 PM
- Robinson Cano singled to right. On the play, Derek Jeter advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Alex Rodriguez due up.
Yankees 3, Rangers 1 Top 5, 1 OutApr 23 8:29 PM
- Josh Hamilton double play groundout scored Ian Kinsler. On the play, Elvis Andrus was out at second. None on with two outs and Michael Young due up.
Yankees 2, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 23 7:29 PM
- Curtis Granderson single to right center scored Derek Jeter and Robinson Cano with two out. On the play, Alex Rodriguez advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Andruw Jones due up.
Yankees 2, Rangers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 23 7:20 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 23 7:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22